Brexit - whats the difference.....

Oh really? So Kylie, Kyle, Kyla and Keiron might miss their Turkey Twizzlers in the school canteen for a few days. National tragedy, I agree. Get the Oxfam enevelopes out now....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm seriously beginning to wonder where all this is actually supposed to be happening because since Brexit I have not personally seen or witnessed ONE example of empty shelves, shortages or noticed a single thing different from before. Funny this all seems to either stem from unfulfilled prophecies of doom by remoaners or appears in quotes from sideline snipers. There is a Haywards Strong Pickled Onions issue granted, but it appears that is either due to the manufacturer or supermarkets' own stocking choices rather than lack of onions, vinegar or lorry drivers.

Last edited:
Grief, only in your mind and your world. I'm happy as Larry ?
That's because Larry (the Lamb) is happily gambolling and frolicking in the green fields, as due to the EU paperwork stupidity he now cannot be exported to France for human consumption. :D

Within the bounds of the uk cannot van drivers be hired to lend a hand with distribution, we surely still produce a lot of our own food ( cheese, fruiit, meat, poultry, fish veg etc..) so is it not a matter of getting it from A to B? Might have to make several smaller journeys criss-crossing.

Last edited:
Honestly asking, like have they laid out some sort of plan/budget on how to spend the money that previously went to EU on UK projects instead?

I think it's been earmarked as a donation to India's much-needed Space Project, a subject close to the UK's governments heart.

On a more serious note, I agree with Dunover. Since the media propaganda and scare tactics around Brexit, I've witnessed zero effects at ground level and seeing is believing.

I find it hard to shed a tear for a Salmon wholesaler who has probably never fished in his life selling overpriced stale fish in fancy packaging to the Chinese. I'm sure Mummy and Daddy will help him through the hard times.

Shortage on kids dinners? Come on, let's get real. There are so many blindingly obvious reasons why that is pie in the sky.

I find it hard to shed a tear for a Salmon wholesaler who has probably never fished in his life selling overpriced stale fish in fancy packaging to the Chinese.
Thanks to global warming half of my town is said to be under water soon so at last my local Morrisons will have some proper fresh fish

RHA website:

This is why we’re calling for a HGV driving tests to be given top priority by DVLA.
Last year, 40,000 of these tests were cancelled due to the Covid-19 pandemic, meaning that the industry has not been able to bring new truckers into the industry. It’s absolutely vital that this backlog be cleared as quickly as possible.

Just read that europe also has a hgv driver shortage, 400,000 and the uk's is 75,000. Part of the blame is the test centres being closed due to lockdowns?

Yes, as I've readily acknowledged time and time again mack, it's a complex and multi-faceted problem, of which Brexit is one component.

Let's turn it on its head, does anyone think Brexit is improving the situation?

Is every single industry figure who's calling out Brexit as a negative factor in the current driver shortage wrong? None of them know what they're talking about? It's all fabrication and nonsense?

Speaks louder than any newspaper clipping.

Still waiting on shortages. Won't stockpile to encourage the inflated problem until I see there is one.

You know bamber, it's possible for something to be true even if you've never seen or experienced it yourself.

Crazy I know :)

Yes, as I've readily acknowledged time and time again mack, it's a complex and multi-faceted problem, of which Brexit is one component.

Is every single industry figure who's calling out Brexit as a negative factor in the current driver shortage wrong? None of them know what they're talking about? It's all fabrication and nonsense?
A temporary or short term affect that will be remedied in time I think is the situation and likely outcome, the headlines are pointing the finger at brexit without the other contributing context though. I had not seen the tests cancelled point made in the thread -but I might have missed it- so considered it new factual information relevant to this discussion.

Just as the scottish indy people have not accepted defeat, I expect remain or rejoin also will pursue their objectives, through mainly the newspapers at first, it's one thing reporting news and quotes etc it's another running a kind of campaign using selective sources and by omission explanations, the guardian & independent will do it, also the others like the times but a bit more subtly.

A temporary or short term affect that will be remedied in time I think is the situation and likely outcome, the headlines are pointing the finger at brexit without the other contributing context though. I had not seen the tests cancelled point made in the thread -but I might have missed it- so considered it new factual information relevant to this discussion.

Just as the scottish indy people have not accepted defeat, I expect remain or rejoin also will pursue their objectives, through mainly the newspapers at first, it's one thing reporting news and quotes etc it's another running a kind of campaign using selective sources and by omission explanations, the guardian & independent will do it, also the others like the times but a bit more subtly.

I'm not expecting rejoining the EU to happen any time soon, if ever, it'd be nice to see moves towards rejoining the Single Market or Customs Union though, as that would remove most of the pain for UK Plc but also keep the UK out of the evil EU.

It's a case that could be made at some point hopefully, given that it's become blatantly obvious that the supposed benefits of Brexit have all turned out to be a nonsense, so we may as well try and get some of the good stuff back.

David Frost has changed his bio on Twitter, now on the plus side, he's being honest, on the downside, he's about five years too late.

I wonder how Vote Leave would have gone if the side of the bus had read, 'It's gonna cost you guv'nor, each and every single one of you'.

1630605277076.png

If you where presented with evidence that Brexit was not to blame for the truck driver crisis would you drop your bone?

It goes back much further that Britain left the EU single market because driver decline has declined for about 20 years.
In 2018:-
“In Germany, the DSLV transport union reports that in the next 15 years, two-thirds of drivers will retire. Germany is facing a shortage of 45,000 truck drivers, with around 30,000 leaving the profession every year. This compares with only 2,000 people receiving truck-driving qualifications each year.”

It is a fact that the DVLA has not been processing licences due to covid restrictions but that has only added to the problem and is not the cause of the problem.
Remember that we have lived by the "just in time" method of transportation in business due to businesses not wishing to have to much eccess stock for obvious reasons-only the cash rich can afford to stock pile Chops.

As well as what I post below we can add what these drivers went through and why they left the profession during covid. They had nowhere to eat,sleep of have a shit because all roadside services where close down.
Shit pay,no quality of life and away from family at a time when their families where shit scared and needed them at home the most. On top of that drivers found themselves at risk and where often finding themselves locked down,unable to move to get back to home.
Would you have continued being a long distance driver during the pandemic scare?
America are looking for drivers from abroad too.
I think that it highlights those getting paid big wages without any merit while those who we truely rely on have historically been paid shit wages.

Here is the proof that the HGV problem is not due to Brexit

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Last edited:
Well I've addressed that point (or variations of it) about sixty five billion times already.

If I'm called to investigate a client's server that's 'running slow' and one of the first things I notice is that disk performance is degraded because of a problem with the RAID array, but on further investigation I also discover that its network port is misconfigured and not delivering optimal throughput, I haven't just proven that the disks are nothing to do with it, I've simply found an extra contributing factor to the overall problem.

geordie says he's proven Brexit has nothing to do with the UK HGV driver issue because other countries also have issues with driver shortages, which is just, y'know, wrong.

A quite remarkable admission by David Frost in his speech today regarding the Northern Ireland Protocol, which shows that the government either didn't realise what it was signing up to, or had no intention of implementing what it was signing up to.

Absolute shower of incompetent idiots.

Dear bank, I must reject your offer of “flexibility” in my loan repayment schedule. I am having problems because I am repaying the loan, not because I am not. My problems stem from the requirement to repay the loan at all; “flexibility” simply will not cut it…

1630769518526.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back