Brexit - whats the difference.....

Swedes still sceptical about EU
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.
[2001]

By BBC News Online's Lars Bevanger in Gothenburg

As the top leaders of the European Union meet here in Gothenburg, the Swedish public is greeting them with mixed feelings.

The latest opinion polls still show a majority would vote against Swedish EU membership now, were they given the chance.

The Swedes have for a long time had an ambivalent attitude to the EU. In a closely fought referendum in 1994 only 52.3% of the population voted for joining the union.

Since then hardly any poll has shown a majority in favour EU membership.

Deep divides

The debate was fierce ahead of Sweden's referendum in 1994. The turnout for the referendum was considerable, more than 83% of voters.
But by the time the Swedes went to the polls again for the 1995 European parliamentarian election, it seemed the interest in Europe had died down. A mere 41% cast their vote.

Still, talking to people today enjoying a day out at Gothenburg's Liseberg amusement park, questions about Sweden in Europe reveals the old divides and heartfelt emotions remain.

Ulla-May Asterberg and her husband Gunnar were split in their opinion in 1994, and still are.

"I voted no, and would definitely do it again," Ulla-May says.
"There is no way I would vote otherwise today. Norway is doing very well outside the EU, why can't we?"

Social democracy

But there are other reasons why many Swedes remain sceptical about the EU.

The Swedish social democracy has deep roots, and the Social Democratic party has dominated politics for much of the 20th century.
Many on the no-side of the Swedish EU debate now argue Sweden is moving too fast towards an American-style market-led economy, threatening the country's well-developed social services system.

...today the majority of the Swedish people still remains to be convinced of the benefits of their country's membership.

-------------

I get the sense sweden is more pro EU now, but still shows this wasn't always the case and could change back imo.
Opinions always swing back and forth on things like this.
Same as Sweden might become more anti-eu in the coming years, maybe UK will become more pro-eu.

Depending on how brexit is handled, it may very well swing the opinion back to pro-eu.
They need to do a good job with it or people are likely to change their opinion again.

Funny that in that (10 years old) poll, Sweds were scared about losing social democracy for capitalism, currently it feels that most of parties who are against EU (in any country, not Sweden specifically) are more worried about EU to be next step to communism and it being new sovietunion etc... :)

Funny that in that (10 years old) poll, Sweds were scared about losing social democracy for capitalism, currently it feels that most of parties who are against EU (in any country, not Sweden specifically) are more worried about EU to be next step to communism and it being new sovietunion etc... :)
I agree that it feels like 2001 was just 10 years ago, but its actually been a bit longer than that. :p

Lord of the rings released 2001 i think, and i dont really agree with the fact that was 20 years ago.

Stellar intellect Andrew Bridgen admitting here that he had no earthly idea what one of the (many) consequences of leaving the single market and customs union would be.

For years, Brexiters have insisted that leave voters knew exactly what they were voting for. Now, they daily announce that they had no idea what they urged those voters to vote for.

Apparently it's the EU's fault for 'playing the cad' (honestly, that's in the letter), whereas the UK was playing the 'gentleman'.

1614534056030.png

A Good letter in my book, sound point too about the wastefulness of importing EU bottled water [at the current rate] into one of the wettest countries in the world, nothing wrong with uk spring water. Might focus the member states that EU 'cad' behaviour is done supposedly on their behalf and interests.

A Good letter in my book, sound point too about the wastefulness of importing EU bottled water [at the current rate] into one of the wettest countries in the world, nothing wrong with uk spring water. Might focus the member states that EU 'cad' behaviour is done supposedly on their behalf and interests.

But he's complaining about something he campaigned for and voted for multiple times in the House of Commons.

1614539672641.png

But he's complaining about something he campaigned for and voted for multiple times in the House of Commons.

View attachment 151421

Well he campaigned for brexit, probably didn't think necessarily it had to come with a 'deliverance' style ending for various uk trade sectors, if frosty replies to that letter, we might found out more on what the govt position is to this EU decision, conservative MPs need to start applying pressure to Bojo and his crony pal setup.

Still glad I voted to leave the 4th reich..

oddly enough at first thought ‘shit’ as loads of projects work wise where funded by the EU..

but just had our largest ever project ‘building city wide wifi’ in many major cities given, will be in the news shortly.

if I want that contract I can work from home for 7 years building a fibre city..

this wasn’t possible before due to EU red tape..

City fibre is the company btw, and this massive contract will give hundreds jobs and put another factor into the congested broadband and comms market, this wasn’t possible whilst tied to EU commitments.

Seems I remember a few months ago some were dogging USA chicken.

The letter says tap water. Is tap water spring water in UK?

Won’t of been me, I eat any chicken as long as it’s fried.

I’m a man of culture

Roasted or fried for me.
Just came back from the market but no roasted chickens left. They started making a chicken pot pie which is what I really wanted but none of those left either.

yeah good point SP, 5 people needlessly dying from imported chicken is a shocking event, would've probably been national headlines before and debated in parliament, I wasn't even aware it had occurred.
Was this the utterly under regulated so called chicken poppers mate? Boneless feasts?

not at all regulated via the uk?

was a outside influence like the EU? Profits before quality?.

pretty sure it was pal

yeah good point SP, 5 people needlessly dying from imported chicken is a shocking event, would've probably been national headlines before and debated in parliament, I wasn't even aware it had occurred.

I thought the same thing, that's big news.

I thought the same thing, that's big news.
Yeah it’s abhorrent, but brushed under the carpet by our biased news pal.

wonder why my mate @ChopleyIOM hasnt mentioned this? Or will he spin it as not a fault of the EU even tho it’s 110% a fault of the fourth reich?..

The letter says tap water. Is tap water spring water in UK?

Well no, but he had to say that as most people drink tap water, to say anthing otherwise could show he was out of touch with what the average family can afford, and imply uk tap water wasn't fit to consume, or no match to EU bottled water.

I drink mostly tap as it's fine where I am, tried the do-it-yourself filtered water but never got on with the taste. fruit cordial with carbonated spring water is something I like though.

We had a big perrier bottled water craze in the yuppie 80s, then all this 'you must drink 2 litrs of water a day', [on top of hot beverages] if I do that I'm p***ing like a horse all day! :laugh:

Well no, but he had to say that as most people drink tap water, to say anthing otherwise could show he was out of touch with what the average family can afford, and imply uk tap water wasn't fit to consume, or no match to EU bottled water.

I drink mostly tap as it's fine where I am, tried the do-it-yourself filtered water but never got on with the taste. fruit cordial with carbonated spring water is something I like though.

We had a big perrier bottled water craze in the yuppie 80s, then all this 'you must drink 2 litrs of water a day', [on top of hot beverages] if I do that I'm p***ing like a horse all day! :laugh:
Tap water, let the tap run a while is superb..

also ice cubed tap water you can’t beat.

you would have to be a special kind of gay to drink this fancy shit.. it’s water...

I make coffee with the tap water but buy spring water.

I just bought a case. Its like $4.49 but you can get it on sale for $3

1614553754552.png

View attachment 151436
are you a fan or iced coffee?
I love the stuff, always take a flask on my drive tomorrow to manchester, it’s only about 2hrs but much prefer it to this too hot to drink shit.

i also use honey instead of sugar just because I’m a bad MF

are you a fan or iced coffee?
I love the stuff, always take a flask on my drive tomorrow to manchester, it’s only about 2hrs but much prefer it to this too hot to drink shit.

i also use honey instead of sugar just because I’m a bad MF
Oh yeah, ice coffee is excellent. I buy it in the summer sometimes.

Iced tea?..

Obviously as I’m from England we can’t drink it iced otherwise the queen would kill our family.

your thoughts?

Yes of course, Iced tea and hot tea. Haven't made hot tea in a few years but I used to buy Earl Grey and English Breakfast tea iirc.

View attachment 151436

That's not a million miles away price wise to uk, if you can get a deal; this is my current go to carbonated spring, 75p a litre, almost equal to 1 dollar, very clean, refreshing taste though so definitely worth it.

1614555974218.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back