Brexit - whats the difference.....

If we'd stayed in the Single Market and Customs Union none of this stuff would be happening, but taking back control was deemed more important.

We can choose to waive some or all checks on stuff coming into the UK, that's our prerogative, although not exactly consistent with strengthening our borders against dastardly foreign imposters. (And yes, whilst no standards have officially changed, if an unscrupulous supplier in the EU had some dodgy shit they were looking to get rid of and still make a profit on, which country do you think they'd choose to send it to? Why, the one that's just waving the trucks through Customs, of course.)

The EU are applying customs checks on UK goods, and they're making sure the paperwork is right, and they're making sure the animal health declaration forms have been signed off by a qualified vet, and so on, all the stuff that they made absolutely 100% crystal clear would apply once the transition period had ended. (The transition period that, remember, we could have easily extended for another 12 months to give more time to get the Deal sorted and therefore give businesses more time to prepare, rather than the four working days they actually got.)

The amazing 'Bespoke Johnson Trade Deal' was indeed tariff free, but it threw up a whole load of non-tariff barriers overnight, and it's those barriers that are stopping, amongst other things, the UK fish and the haggis getting to the EU.

It's all in there, in the legislation that the UK parliament voted to enact in a massive rush at the end of December.

This isn't the EU's fault, this is what Brexit is, the Brexit we said we wanted.

If we'd stayed in the Single Market and Customs Union none of this stuff would be happening, but taking back control was deemed more important.

We can choose to waive some or all checks on stuff coming into the UK, that's our prerogative, although not exactly consistent with strengthening our borders against dastardly foreign imposters. (And yes, whilst no standards have officially changed, if an unscrupulous supplier in the EU had some dodgy shit they were looking to get rid of and still make a profit on, which country do you think they'd choose to send it to? Why, the one that's just waving the trucks through Customs, of course.)

The EU are applying customs checks on UK goods, and they're making sure the paperwork is right, and they're making sure the animal health declaration forms have been signed off by a qualified vet, and so on, all the stuff that they made absolutely 100% crystal clear would apply once the transition period had ended. (The transition period that, remember, we could have easily extended for another 12 months to give more time to get the Deal sorted and therefore give businesses more time to prepare, rather than the four working days they actually got.)

The amazing 'Bespoke Johnson Trade Deal' was indeed tariff free, but it threw up a whole load of non-tariff barriers overnight, and it's those barriers that are stopping, amongst other things, the UK fish and the haggis getting to the EU.

It's all in there, in the legislation that the UK parliament voted to enact in a massive rush at the end of December.

This isn't the EU's fault, this is what Brexit is, the Brexit we said we wanted.

Well I'm sure there are rules built into the agreement whereby the EU or uk can't unfairly hold up export/import produce, in which case could just be missing paperwork and getting to grips with the new arrangements.

I think we need to wait a bit longer for the dust to settle, then any persistent/residing issues that need fixing will have come to light by then.

I'm sure there are some member states and citizens already envying the extra bit of freedom we have [not 100% freedom] we don't instantly have to follow the new red tape from brussels, the way they boss member states around is very unedifying. It is power being wielded further and further away from the citizen, and any democratic control or influence he may have.

I absolutely applaud your glass half-full optimism on this mack, if for 'Brexit dividend' we're actually making a stretch to, 'I imagine there are some people in Italy who are quite jealous of all the damage we're voluntarily doing to our own economy' :)

The jealous people in Italy aside, what are the good bits for the UK so far?

(Also, you do realise that support for the EU in other EU member states has increased considerably since the referendum?)

Note that these figures are from mid-2020, so don't even take into account reactions to the mess of Brexit finally happening.

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Also, the EU aren't 'unfairly' doing anything, they are literally just implementing the agreement that the UK parliament voted for last month.

1611658439140.png

I absolutely applaud your glass half-full optimism on this mack, if for 'Brexit dividend' we're actually making a stretch to, 'I imagine there are some people in Italy who are quite jealous of all the damage we're voluntarily doing to our own economy' :)

The jealous people in Italy aside, what are the good bits for the UK so far?

(Also, you do realise that support for the EU in other EU member states has increased considerably since the referendum?)

Note that these figures are from mid-2020, so don't even take into account reactions to the mess of Brexit finally happening.

Also, the EU aren't 'unfairly' doing anything, they are literally just implementing the agreement that the UK parliament voted for last month.

View attachment 149677

Quite a lot of the countries with financial problems, who face an uncertain future, probably feel they need the EU more now, the northern richer members agreed a covid recovery fund as well. However I can't imagine all EU citizens and politicians think we've made a mistake and there will be zero benefits/advantages to the UK from leaving the club.

Italy could be one of the more eurosceptic countries I would have thought, it all depends how far the EU want to push things in the future, how much they wish to pretend they are a country and not a trade bloc with rules. Verhofstadt wants the EU to have it's own tax raising powers, it's own army etc..

Surely you can see the double standards in play here?
Why let the facts get in the way of a good story?

1) Leave.eu had their domain name suspended because you need to be an organisation headquartered in an EU country to have a .eu domain name, when the UK left the EU that ceased to be the case. Leave.eu tried to re-register their domain in the Republic of Ireland, to a businessman who denied having any connection with them whatsoever. That is currently being investigated and I'm sure will eventually be resolved.

2) Haggis is an animal product, therefore it falls afoul of all the new red tape and rules that the UK choosing to become a third country, outside of the EU, now has to play by.

Maybe put those haggis people in touch with the folks mack was quoting above? Apparently it's all dead easy, just the same forms as before, fill them all in online, job done, tell them to stop moaning.

TRUE FACT - You know who one of the main authors of the third country rules was? Yes, that's right, it was the UK. The UK was one of the key authors of the rules that third countries to the EU must abide by, we then voted to leave the EU, and are now pissing and moaning about the third party rules we now have to abide by, the rules that we helped to write.

It's almost as if, and I'm just going to put this out there, some folks didn't think this shit through very well.
Surely you can see the double standards at play here? The EU are allowed to have an office in the UK complete with an outreach program dedicated to encourage rejoining the EU and is dedicated to encourage the UK youngsters to push for rejoining yet Leave.EU is not allowed to have a domain website based in the UK?
The issue of the domain being based in the ROI is a legal one which I don't think I am qualified to talk about but there is more info here

The issue of Haggis being banned probably stems from the totally inadequate negotiating ability's of the UK in ironing out such issues plus the outright pigheadedness of EU officials to frustrate the transitions.
Maybe the EU have hindered the passage of Haggis because they noted the effect that Haggis has had on the Scots? :p

There is not a blanket ban on Haggis into the EU as this article indicates.

Shortage of haggis might just be my favorite kind of shortage.
:p

To be fair, ive never tasted it, and its not like we dont eat fermented fish here in Sweden as some sort of delicacy.
Also, with whats in it, maybe it tastes somewhat similar to our Swedish Pölsa.
And thats great.

To be fair, ive never tasted it, and its not like we dont eat fermented fish here in Sweden as some sort of delicacy.
And thats great.

I'll post some over, if you send the 1000SEK delivery fee.

If i can't get it through customs atm, i'll just send the sheep itself and you can do your thing.

It's actually ok (though, talk of lungs may make some wince): probably nicer in a morning fry, as opposite to sitting with the evil potatoes and turnip.

If i can't get it through customs atm, i'll just send the sheep itself and you can do your thing.

It's actually ok (though, talk of lungs may make some wince): probably nicer in a morning fry, as opposite to sitting with the evil potatoes and turnip.
There is no such thing as evil potatoes.
Some of them are even called sweet potatoes because of how nice they are.
;)

Totally agree with the EU on this one if it is true. They should be banning Haggis as should everyone it is disgusting. Pity the poor Sod's that had a Burn's Supper yesterday.

Potatoes are the greatest things ever tho. Loads of my favourite things come from them.

Okay maybe i could live without Vodka at moment and even Roast Potatoes tho i am having them with dinner tonight. But no way could i do without chips and crisps.

Minor retailer of niche speciality products, hang on...... Fucking Amazon stops selling alcohol in NI and prepares to de-list multiple products for the region due to new Brexit customs rules when the grace period comes to an end at the start of April.

Amazon is considering halting the sale of a large number of other products to Northern Irish customers - including pet food, organic food supplements and some over-the-counter medicines - before the end of March when customs regulation becomes more onerous.From the 1st April, all deliveries of products of animal origin, sent from mainland Britain to Northern Ireland, will need to be accompanied by Export Health Certificates (EHC) which need to be signed-off by a vet.

At the moment there is a grace period in place for supermarkets and bigger suppliers.Amazon is concerned that the burden of the extra customs paperwork coupled with the requirement for physical checks will be too costly and disruptive, running the risk that lorries carrying thousands of Amazon parcels - many of which won’t require EHCs - get held-up at the border.

1611686861570.png

The issue of Haggis being banned probably stems from the totally inadequate negotiating ability's of the UK in ironing out such issues plus the outright pigheadedness of EU officials to frustrate the transitions.

No. You can't 'negotiate away' the multiple rules that apply to importing/exporting to and from the EU as a third country. They are the rules that apply to third countries, the way not to have them apply to you is to be a member of the single market and customs union. The UK decided to leave both, so the rules apply, we don't get special treatment.

All of this was made crystal clear before the referendum was held. Back then it was known as Project Fear. Now apparently it's known as 'the EU is being awkward'.

What it should actually be known as is 'The entirely predictable and indeed explicitly stated consequences of Brexit'.

Last edited:

And thats great.

I think it is vile. Burns night is a very highly celebrated event for Freemasons. I used to provide their Burns meal for them at a secluded Private old house and from behind closed doors I could hear them going through their rituals.

No. You can't 'negotiate away' the multiple rules that apply to importing/exporting to and from the EU as a third country. They are the rules that apply to third countries, the way not to have them apply to you is to be a member of the single market and customs union. The UK decided to leave both, so the rules apply, we don't get special treatment.

All of this was made crystal clear before the referendum was held. Back then it was known as Project Fear. Now apparently it's known as 'the EU is being awkward'.

What it should actually be known as is 'The entirely predictable and indeed explicitly started consequences of Brexit'.
Forgive me for avoiding getting into the minutiae of the brexit agreement but it does bore the tits off me.
However. Do you agree that it is hypocritical of the EU to have an office in the UK complete with an outreach program dedicated to encourage the rejoin of the EU yet Leave.EU is not allowed to have a domain website based in the UK?

Can you cite some sources for this EU office complete with outreach rejoining programme please, I'm not aware of it.

Also, to call the fundamental building blocks of international trade the 'minutiae' of Brexit whilst also saying it bores the tits off you says a lot about why we are where we are with Brexit as a whole.

Can you cite some sources for this EU office complete with outreach rejoining programme please, I'm not aware of it.

Also, to call the fundamental building blocks of international trade the 'minutiae' of Brexit whilst also saying it bores the tits off you says a lot about why we are where we are with Brexit as a whole.
I'll go back and find that detail and post it.

PS. I am not sure that you know but I was never actually involved with the Brexit negotiations

That's amazing, he's managed to send one consignment of long-life smoked fish to Greece, and it only cost him more and took him longer to do it than it did before.

Truly Brexit is a success.

Here it is. Get your kids to become part of the next generation of rejoiners and once the lockdown ends they can have a free trip to Brussels :)

And here

I don't see the problem. Young people voted against Brexit, many of them hope (as do I) that one day the UK will rejoin the EU.

The EU is entitled to maintain an office in the UK and of course there are still many other people from the EU who remain in the UK, so it seems entirely natural to me that a UK office will be maintained. It's not like they're going to be dragging people in off the street.

The Leave.EU site has been taken down because they were no longer headquartered in the EU when the UK left the EU, and they're now tied up in legal wrangles over it. Maybe they should have planned ahead like all those businesses who apparently should have planned ahead better?

And also, y'know, Daily Express.

1611692344460.png

That's amazing, he's managed to send one consignment of long-life smoked fish to Greece, and it only cost him more and took him longer to do it than it did before.

Truly Brexit is a success.

Apparently his customer [wholesaler] was happy to pay the charges, 1% of the order, and he said in any case because of the pound dropping against the euro by 25% since referendum it makes no difference, exports from the uk to the EU should be on the up, imports to the uk may have gone up in cost conversely, but we do have quite a competitive retail sector [and opens doors for uk producers to compete]

edit: afaik when Germany joined the EURO it acted as a currency devaluation compared to the mark, helped their exports increase.

But is this really where we're at mack? There are still both extra paperwork and extra costs irrespective of who does it or pays them, the pound tanking has basically just absorbed those costs (in this instance) but that's bugger all use to UK consumers who are paying more for their daily goods.

Is this seriously where we're at with it now? Cheering because someone managed to send a box of smoked fish to Greece, in a more expensive and bureaucratic fashion than was the case before?

Also he's still not selling anything to Northern Ireland.

1611692742206.png

But is this really where we're at mack? There are still both extra paperwork and extra costs irrespective of who does it or pays them, the pound tanking has basically just absorbed those costs (in this instance) but that's bugger all use to UK consumers who are paying more for their daily goods.

Is this seriously where we're at with it now? Cheering because someone managed to send a box of smoked fish to Greece, in a more expensive and bureaucratic fashion than was the case before?

Also he's still not selling anything to Northern Ireland.

View attachment 149697

Well we will have to see, going to take longer, remainers like the conservative chancellor(s) frequently made doom-laden forecasts, so far they don't look like occurring. But as J.redwood reminded the Govt, they need to work on getting the brexit wins going, areas where we could now differentiate from the EU.

I can't think that being part of a 27 country negotiation and discussion lends itself to competitive advantage worldwide, too many competing interests and compromises possibly, also bearing in mind the fourth industrial revolution.

From the govt's own paper published on gov.uk:

The Fourth Industrial Revolution is of a scale, speed and complexity that is unprecedented. It is characterised by a fusion of technologies – such as artificial intelligence, gene editing and advanced robotics – that is blurring the lines between the physical, digital and biological worlds. It will disrupt nearly every industry in every country, creating new opportunities and challenges for people, places and businesses to which we must respond.

I don't see the problem. Young people voted against Brexit, many of them hope (as do I) that one day the UK will rejoin the EU.

The EU is entitled to maintain an office in the UK and of course there are still many other people from the EU who remain in the UK, so it seems entirely natural to me that a UK office will be maintained. It's not like they're going to be dragging people in off the street.

The Leave.EU site has been taken down because they were no longer headquartered in the EU when the UK left the EU, and they're now tied up in legal wrangles over it. Maybe they should have planned ahead like all those businesses who apparently should have planned ahead better?

And also, y'know, Daily Express.

View attachment 149695

Chopley. I did not direct you to an opinion piece so you highlighting the Daily Express headlines is petty in the extreme. It is the contents of the quotes that matter in the article

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back