Brexit - whats the difference.....

Had a scan through The Dossier and some of the points (only went through the first 5 or 6) could be argued as favourable for the future.

Its clear we will not agree on the effects of Brexit yet and I guess the best thing is to embrace the change and hope for the best. In a year or two we will be able to see the real effects I guess.
Well I'm certainly not going to embrace Brexit any more than I'd embrace a local skip company emptying a massive pile of horseshit onto my car. I'll accept it because it's reality and it's happened, but that's as far as it goes.

And we can see the real effects now, literally, right now. Ask the fishermen who are going bankrupt right this minute what they think the 'real effects' of Brexit are.

UK government advises UK businesses to, erm, set up shop in the EU to avoid Brexit red tape.
This is the very reason the DUP should have been giving their full backing to the May deal, NI would have been the perfect solution for any company wanting to do this as in the May deal NI would have access to both the EU and UK with no customs, no trade issues ect etc ( at least thats my understanding of the deal). NI would have recieved a huge amount of investment from the rest of the UK with businesses wanting to take this option.
But the DUP would rather not support that deal as it meant they stayed in the EU for all intents and purposes. Good thinking Arlene.

This is the very reason the DUP should have been giving their full backing to the May deal, NI would have been the perfect solution for any company wanting to do this as in the May deal NI would have access to both the EU and UK with no customs, no trade issues ect etc ( at least thats my understanding of the deal). NI would have recieved a huge amount of investment from the rest of the UK with businesses wanting to take this option.
But the DUP would rather not support that deal as it meant they stayed in the EU for all intents and purposes. Good thinking Arlene.

Don’t even know how she’s in politics still.

A cursory watching of those pitiful pressers with, to be fair the equally abhorrent O’Neill, is equally as embarrassing as BoJo’s

The EU Gravy train has nothing on the Stormont one :p

The DUP definitely win The Ultimate Dunce Award for pointing a loaded shotgun at your own feet and blowing them off.

The penny has (finally) dropped for them that they've fucked themselves and NI, but like much of Brexit of course, it's too late now, the damage has been done and will continue to be done.

It was quite amusing watching the remarkably dense Sammy Wilson in the Commons last week, getting terribly upset about all the damage Brexit was causing, whilst also of course having supported it.

Don’t even know how she’s in politics still.

A cursory watching of those pitiful pressers with, to be fair the equally abhorrent O’Neill, is equally as embarrassing as BoJo’s

The EU Gravy train has nothing on the Stormont one :p
Yip, it seems the RHI report has been swept under the carpet, the brass neck she had at the hearings when she basically admitted it was the SPAD's who ran everything, and the fact that it was pointed out to her by members of the public that it was a bad scheme and she just ignored it shows her general level of contempt.
But as you are well aware the DUP rallying cry is vote for us or the Sinners will get in and that rallys the troops for her in most elections.

The DUP definitely win The Ultimate Dunce Award for pointing a loaded shotgun at your own feet and blowing them off.

The penny has (finally) dropped for them that they've fucked themselves and NI, but like much of Brexit of course, it's too late now, the damage has been done and will continue to be done.

It was quite amusing watching the remarkably dense Sammy Wilson in the Commons last week, getting terribly upset about all the damage Brexit was causing, whilst also of course having supported it.
Our Sammy used to be a school teacher in the Boys Model in Belfast, wonder how his pupils turned out over the years if he was passing on his considerable knowledge...
He also doesnt believe in Covid, and regulars shouts about how he isnt going to be muzzled with a face mask.... but sure dont the people of Antrim keep on voting him in, so he must be doing something right.

Last edited:
Yip, it seems the RHI report has been swept under the carpet, the brass neck she had at the hearings when she basically admitted it was the SPAD's who ran everything, and the fact that it was pointed out to her by members of the public that it was a bad scheme and she just ignored it shows her general level of contempt.
But as you are well aware the DUP rallying cry is vote for us or the Sinners will get in and that rallys the troops for her in most elections.
Still have the cringe memory of Peter Robinson giving an interview, after his wifes troubles, in his own house: cue the last minute purchasing of the Union Jack cushions, the picture of her Maj hanging above the fire and the tea cups :laugh:

Shame the cameras never kept rolling at the end where we'd have heard him going 'it's over, get this tat out of here' :laugh:

Still have the cringe memory of Peter Robinson giving an interview, after his wifes troubles, in his own house: cue the last minute purchasing of the Union Jack cushions, the picture of her Maj hanging above the fire and the tea cups :laugh:

Shame the cameras never kept rolling at the end where we'd have heard him going 'it's over, get this tat out of here' :laugh:
At least PR did the decency to stand down when he was being investigated, Arlene stood firm and this caused the Stormont talking shop to close up for 3 years, and they wonder then why after 3 years with no investment, no decisions on change being made with the Health Service that we are so underfunded and under resourced to deal with Covid....
PR was also good at pulling strokes, he bought a strip of land at the back of his house from one of his mates for a fiver and reportedly sold it a few years ago for £200,000 as it was needed for an access route to a new housing build..... pity Donald Trump didnt drain the Belfast swamp :):):)

Well hopefully the £23 million fund listed in the downside dossier will help towards saving some of them.

BREXIT PROMISE - £350M per week for the NHS

BREXIT REALITY - We're compensating UK fishermen to the tune of £23M because Brexit has destroyed their industry

Can't help but remember that Brexit was supposed to be a big boost for British businesses and especially fishing, not something so bad that the government would have to hand out tens of millions of pounds to repair some of the damage it's done.

This post is from September 2019, I'm not crediting myself with any Nostradamus like prediction skills here, but people smarter than me and with more knowledge than me were calling this out years ago, across all areas of Brexit, and saying, 'Hey folks, you do realise that this is going to be an absolute bombsite, don't you?'

Ahhh no, Project Fear.

I'm reminded of something colinsunderland said back on page 2 or 3 of this thread, it should have never gone to a referendum, it's a far too complex issue for people who had no ideas of the details of it all to decide on, this is literally what we pay politicians for.

I mean, crikey, if we'd left the Covid response to Facebook and the internet we'd have enacted (the now completely discredited) GREAT BARRINGTON DECLARATION and utterly destroyed the NHS by now, and killed about half a million people.

NOTE - And I count myself in the above, I'm a Remainer but only because my gut instinct was to be so, not because I really knew anything about it all, I've only educated myself since.

Mind you, the tone of the debate was well and truly set when Gove came out with 'People have had enough of experts', yeah, exactly the same experts that predicted Brexit would kill the UK fishing industry.

1611560983942.png

Mastercard raises credit and debit card fees by 500% for UK customers, from 0.3% to 1.5%, now it is no longer bound by EU regulations.

Brexit dividend! (Not for us though.)

Visa expected to follow suit.

This was warned about in 2018 (Project Fear), admittedly this article refers to No-Deal Brexit consequences but the Deal that Johnson signed is so shit that in some regards it's pretty much analogous to No Deal.

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

1611561872704.png
1611561897251.png

I swear I'm not making this up.

Former Brexit Party MEP also happens to run a fish business. His fish business is now in trouble because he can't export fish to the EU and he wants the UK government to compensate him. (According to the company's website they have halted all exports to the EU and NI.)

He also says it isn't a Brexit problem, but a bureaucracy problem.

Making the mental leap to grasping that all the new bureaucracy is a direct result of Brexit, alas, appears to be beyond him.

These are the people who sold you Brexit.

The fact remains that his business has currently ceased exporting to the EU and NI because of Brexit, and he's been asking for compensation from the UK government.

And he's a former Brexit Party MEP.

His best case scenario is now worse than it was before, because the Tweet you've posted there openly acknowledges that he's got a load of red tape to wade through now, just to carry on his business as it was before. (Well, not even as it was before, because it will be more cumbersome and weighed down by extra costs and bureaucracy.)

Still waiting for a single 'Good News' Brexit story.

1611588892155.png

Under that post of his are several comments, asked how's business he replied:

Restaurants, caterers and hotel business dire. Same for Exports. Where we export to retailers it's fine, to restaurants, it's not. Online home delivery helping to plug the gap and keep chefs employed.

This is more due to the lockdowns than brexit I would've thought.

So why has he only started asking for government handouts since the start of the year? Why has his company only ceased exporting to the EU and NI since the start of the year. Covid and lockdowns have been a thing since March 2020, Brexit finally happened on January 1st 2021, and it's since then he's started having problems.

The red tape is Brexit, that's one of the (many) prices of 'taking back control' and electing to be a third country. The fact that we're just waving any old shite through customs to keep stuff moving doesn't mean the EU has to reciprocate, we wanted to leave remember, they didn't ask us to.

So why has he only started asking for government handouts since the start of the year? Why has his company only ceased exporting to the EU and NI since the start of the year. Covid and lockdowns have been a thing since March 2020, Brexit finally happened on January 1st 2021, and it's since then he's started having problems.

The red tape is Brexit, that's one of the (many) prices of 'taking back control' and electing to be a third country. The fact that we're just waving any old shite through customs to keep stuff moving doesn't mean the EU has to reciprocate, we wanted to leave remember, they didn't ask us to.

Those are his words above, the govt have set aside money to compensate fishermen I believe? Perhaps he wants that extended to his part of the chain too, he is a businessman after all. The lockdown costs to his business have come first and are continuing now, this red tape hassle is on top.

Someone also posted, under lance's comment about certificates:

Was always in place for export of seafood to non-EU. Took a bit of sorting initially but works well as docs on-line. Easy for frozen seafood as s-life not an issue. Needs planning with EHO if chilled short s-life. UK sites still working to EC853/4 so by default still approved.

The product standards haven't changed so unlikely we are waving any old shite from the EU through our customs.

The EU have decided to keep an office open in the UK to promote rejoining the EU, Including a website,with the express wish to encourage the young to fight for the UK to rejoin. At the same time they have shut down the main organisation's website that is proposing to leave the EU which is gathering such momentum in many member states to the point that it obviously scares them.
Outdated URL (Invalid)
It is amazing what Google can do if you are onside!
And all of those in the EU who wished to celebrate Burns night where left to enjoy Haggis from a tin if they could find one because those boarder officials are continuing to obstruct imports/exports so much that the Scottish delicacy has been turned away at the boarders for no explicable reason.
And it is not even as if Haggis is in direct competition with any EU member states version of Haggis
Unless there is an EU Country that Scotland invaded in the dim and distant that I don't know about and has pockets of Scots willing to fight for their own independence and have not had their fresh Haggis Mash and Neeps?
And Berwick is not an option :p

Last edited:
Why let the facts get in the way of a good story?

1) Leave.eu had their domain name suspended because you need to be an organisation headquartered in an EU country to have a .eu domain name, when the UK left the EU that ceased to be the case. Leave.eu tried to re-register their domain in the Republic of Ireland, to a businessman who denied having any connection with them whatsoever. That is currently being investigated and I'm sure will eventually be resolved.

2) Haggis is an animal product, therefore it falls afoul of all the new red tape and rules that the UK choosing to become a third country, outside of the EU, now has to play by.

Maybe put those haggis people in touch with the folks mack was quoting above? Apparently it's all dead easy, just the same forms as before, fill them all in online, job done, tell them to stop moaning.

TRUE FACT - You know who one of the main authors of the third country rules was? Yes, that's right, it was the UK. The UK was one of the key authors of the rules that third countries to the EU must abide by, we then voted to leave the EU, and are now pissing and moaning about the third party rules we now have to abide by, the rules that we helped to write.

It's almost as if, and I'm just going to put this out there, some folks didn't think this shit through very well.

From the EU commisssion website

Third country:

Definition(s)​

A country that is not a member of the European Union as well as a country or territory whose citizens do not enjoy the European Union right to free movement, as defined in Art. 2(5) of the Regulation (EU) 2016/399 (Schengen Borders Code).

---------
I don't see what this has to do with our so called bespoke bojo trade deal, our business sectors should be trading with the EU on the same terms as they trade with us, haggis to europe should face the same obstacles as german sausage to the uk, surely?

Unless we have some specific details to go by how can we judge what's happening, what is going wrong and why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back