Battle of The Somme Anniversary

Dinahnana

Paleo Meister (means really, really old)
PABaccred
CAG
mm1
mm4
Today I would like to take some time out to remember all those who lost their lives in the Battle of The Somme. My own Grandfather an Irishman joined the British Army and fought and was wounded during this battle. I know many Meister members probably lost relatives during this and many other battles so I would like to take a moment to remember them.

I was thinking about this when I got up today. I had a coffee and thought "while I've drank this 100 years ago to the minute the allies had lost about 500 men." By this evening tens of thousands of families had a relative lost or injured. RIP and you'll always be remembered.:notworthy

This is why I think ALL British schoolchildren should have a visit to these sites and graves during their education.

I thought it was touching that local French school children still look after the graves of the fallen.

Almost unimaginable devastation, brutality, death and suffering on such a massive scale....1.5 million French, British and German casualties by the end of the four month battle.

RIP and indeed deep respect to those brave soldiers of yesteryear.

I was thinking about this when I got up today. I had a coffee and thought "while I've drank this 100 years ago to the minute the allies had lost about 500 men." By this evening tens of thousands of families had a relative lost or injured. RIP and you'll always be remembered.:notworthy

This is why I think ALL British schoolchildren should have a visit to these sites and graves during their education.

Not only british. ALL european children should see these horrible places. Then they will know how bad war is.

The victims of WW1 will never forgotten. RIP.

Not exactly Somme, but my great grandfather was wounded at Verdun and lucky to make it back home some 2000km/1300mi away.

I remember to this day my great grandmother telling me the story how she left Romania to look for her wounded husband after receiving mail from him, which took 5 weeks to arrive. She crossed Austria-Hungary, Germany and found him in a military hospital just shy of the French/German border. As he was so badly wounded they were happy to let him go, thinking he wouldn't live much longer but 6 weeks later they were back in the small village in Transylvania. He passed away in 1978 at the age of 87.

I know, he fought on the German side, but most of those soldier were just as much victims.

My respect goes to all those who fought in these 2 WW's, simply because i can't imagine myself getting the courage up to fight in a war.

RIP

I visited Verdun in 2006. I live near the French border (100km) and my families have lived there for generations and many of the men fought in the wars so I lost countless family-members during WW1. In Germany we don't honour our veterans and fallen soldiers like the Brits do. As Harry mentioned our soldiers where also innocent family fathers that where the tools of some misguided and megalomaniac politicians. British and German soldiers played football against each other during the Christmas cease fire in 1914. I think there was and is always a great extent of respect between Germans, French and Brits - this is why we are always quick with critical statements, because we have high standards on each other.

Rest in peace you brave men.

Some pictures of my visit of Verdun in 2006.

IMG_2199.jpg

IMG_2235.jpg

IMG_2266.jpg

May they all rest in peace.

A story of my great grandfather.

The day before the big push was due my great grandfather,who was a young Private went to his commanding officer who had took a shine to him.
"Sir,can I visit home for a few days because my wife is expecting a baby"

"You do realize we are in a War sunny boy? " The officer asked. "Be back in 3 days and report back to me".

3 days later he reported back.

"Well sunny boy what was it? "

My great grandfather said "Oh, it takes months "

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back