Another Legend Passes

cncas2123

Ueber Meister
PABnonaccred
Wor Jackie, part of the World Cup winning team of '66, the manager who took Republic of Ireland to the Euro's and the World Cup, passes aged 85.

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

I remember as a very young kid watching him at the heart of the Leeds defence with his pal Norman Hunter. Some team in heaven now with those two in defence.

Just saw....

A 'proper' player and gentleman with a wicked sense of humour, he's what one could describe suitably as a legend. There will never be players of that ilk again
I spent a bit of time in the 00's in Ballina and he would visit regularly to fish the River Moy, he was welcoming to all, never had an issue with stopping for a chat with the locals, no airs and graces and todays players could learn an awful lot from the way that he conducted himself.

Not been a football fan for many years - lived and breathed it as I grew up, not wishing to sound old but it changed very much for worst. This man lived and played through the years when football was at it's best - when you were tackled fairly, jumped to your feet and played on, instead of rolling around on the floor screaming because someone had flicked your ear.

Glad he lived to a ripe old age.

God help todays players when in many years they go upstairs and the likes of Hunter, Bremner, etc are sitting round waiting for a friendly game.

No doubt Marcelino will still be sitting it out cos of his broken finger.

We met him once in County Mayo years and years ago (probably the same time as Cncas) and sat for a good 30 minutes chewin the fat with my Dad (massive football fan) and, like said, one of the good yins.

He always seemed to be smiling and what a player.

I hear he was a gent.

Would be great if they started 'old school football' again. Many agree the fairness is missing and many miss the sliding tackles on a rainy day.

Remember orange balls so they could play in the snow? At least i think they were orange, it was a black and white tele. They dont play in drizzle nowadays. (I sound like my Dad which makes me wonder what they played in during his day).

He always seemed to be smiling and what a player.

I hear he was a gent.

Would be great if they started 'old school football' again. Many agree the fairness is missing and many miss the sliding tackles on a rainy day.

Remember orange balls so they could play in the snow? At least i think they were orange, it was a black and white tele. They dont play in drizzle nowadays. (I sound like my Dad which makes me wonder what they played in during his day).
Very tight shorts from what I recall!

Also one mustn't forget how hard the game was back then. So the 'flair' players really had to up their game just to survive and not have their legs broken!

Speaking of which, those were the days when players played on regardless of petty flesh wounds, like goalies playing with a broken neck and so forth :eek:

Understandable really, as tackles went flying in everywhere, refs just shrugged and ushered on play, cards weren't really a thing yet, balls were like medicine balls, and 'substitutes' were 'new'.

Then you see modern players who are pansies in comparison. If Ronaldo is felled you can positively see him pull out his compact mirror to check his eyebrows :eek2:

Also one mustn't forget how hard the game was back then. So the 'flair' players really had to up their game just to survive and not have their legs broken!

That's a fair point. I wonder how Messi would have gotten on back then. Im sure being that good he would have adjusted but definitely not played as much.

You also knew how to jump out the way back then though. Instead of leaving a trailing leg and rolling over several times clutching your shin with agony on your face.

That's a fair point. I wonder how Messi would have gotten on back then. Im sure being that good he would have adjusted but definitely not played as much.

You also knew how to jump out the way back then though. Instead of leaving a trailing leg and rolling over several times clutching your shin with agony on your face.
Many of the "bruisers" from the past wouldnt be able to keep up with todays players.
Very different how the game was played then vs now.
Not saying Ronaldo is not a diva diving every chance he gets, but he would still run circles around most of the defenders from the past.

The level of competition has increased somehing crazy aswell.
Maybe thats why we dont see players like Cruyff anymore, drinking and smoking.
hjhj.jpg

The Cruyff-turn used to be my go-to move while playing.
I was never all that good with dribbles, but for some reason the Cruyff-turn worked most of the time. =)

Many of the "bruisers" from the past wouldnt be able to keep up with todays players.
Very different how the game was played then vs now.
Not saying Ronaldo is not a diva diving every chance he gets, but he would still run circles around most of the defenders from the past.

The level of competition has increased somehing crazy aswell.
Maybe thats why we dont see players like Cruyff anymore, drinking and smoking.
View attachment 136612

The Cruyff-turn used to be my go-to move while playing.
I was never all that good with dribbles, but for some reason the Cruyff-turn worked most of the time. =)

Not even remotely true. Ronaldo is a freak by anyone's standards but hardly the greatest player to have ever graced the game in fairness

Fact is there have always been fast, skilful players about since the dawn of time, Pele, Maradona, Rivaldo/ Romario/ Ronaldinho, the 'proper' Ronaldo who pissed on Christiano from a great height, Klinsmann, Weah, hell, even Eusebio and just the whole of 1970 Brazil

Difference being that there was actual defenders that had to adapt to shut them out, unlike today's 'interpretation' of defending. So apart from some minor aforementioned differences in the modern game such as Sports Science etc it really isn't any better. I'd say considerably worse if anything

And as alluded to, the likes of Messi & pretend Ronaldo wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes back then, let alone a full season. Probably why they plied their trade in soft leagues like Spain & Italy :laugh:

Not even remotely true. Ronaldo is a freak by anyone's standards but hardly the greatest player to have ever graced the game in fairness

Fact is there have always been fast, skilful players about since the dawn of time, Pele, Maradona, Rivaldo/ Romario/ Ronaldinho, the 'proper' Ronaldo who pissed on Christiano from a great height, Klinsmann, Weah, hell, even Eusebio and just the whole of 1970 Brazil

Difference being that there was actual defenders that had to adapt to shut them out, unlike today's 'interpretation' of defending. So apart from some minor aforementioned differences in the modern game such as Sports Science etc it really isn't any better. I'd say considerably worse if anything

And as alluded to, the likes of Messi & pretend Ronaldo wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes back then, let alone a full season. Probably why they plied their trade in soft leagues like Spain & Italy :laugh:
They were great, compared to the other players at that time.
Like how the first car ever built was an awesome car for that time, but pretty shit by todays standards.
:p

Edit:

They were great, compared to the other players at that time.
Like how the first car ever built was an awesome car for that time, but pretty shit by todays standards.
:p

Edit:
Ah ok, gotcha. So those players mentioned, as well as the likes of Jack Charlton, would be shit by today's 'brilliant' football standards :laugh:

Ah ok, gotcha. So those players mentioned, as well as the likes of Jack Charlton, would be shit by today's 'brilliant' football standards :laugh:
No thats not what i meant, obviously the greats would still be able to compete with todays greats.
But i think the average player from the past wouldnt be able to get a spot in the same team today.
Much more people competing over the same spots today, so the standard is higher.

And bear in mind the pitches that they played on way back when... most of them were little more than cow fields in the winter, churned up messes in the autumn and they still managed to display a very high level of skill - imagine what they could have done on the manicured pitches today.

And bear in mind the pitches that they played on way back when... most of them were little more than cow fields in the winter, churned up messes in the autumn and they still managed to display a very high level of skill - imagine what they could have done on the manicured pitches today.
Study actually mentions that.

“A lot of this can be attributed to the increased quality of playing surfaces where footballers train and compete. Modern pitches are immaculate and well-maintained and not the mud baths that they used to be. Pitches used to get very heavy and soggy, particularly in mid-winter, which accounted for players being bulkier and more muscular.”

Hairstyles of the past were alot better.

hj.jpgnn.jpg

Also need to remember that while the ball was the same weight as today's ball's, it was made of leather and absorbed water throughout the game. Today's footballers eat better, have masseurs, doctors and every aid possible, they are are also playing, at least in the premier leagues, on the carefully manicured pitched mentioned above, with a ball which is significantly different from that 40 years ago. Even the boots are lighter and scientifically manufactured for optimum performance.

So the game today is different from that of yesteryear - Beckham may have had a few more issues with curling 30 yd free kicks with a ball which had been soaking up water for 80 minutes and was roughly the weight of a breeze block :)

1594486673441.png

Possible that Ronaldo playing in yesterdays game would have been better - he is as strong as an ox dont forget, by any standards, the mans a beast. I cant stand him but if you took away the childish ego and the cheating and made him more of a man psychologically he may have been the greatest.

Messi for me is much better than Ronaldo because he had/has the brain. The stats prove it, a much better player all round but slight so who knows but i reckon they had players as quick and as skillful but different balls and pitches as mentioned, lifestyle and training.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back