Another Gamstop sob story

Lemmym12

Dormant Account
PABnononaccred
I must say, I was surprised by the attitudes of some on here about people that have managed to gamble online despite their gamstop registration.

I have a massive gambling addiction- I freely admit that. Back in June I registered with gamstop and it was like a wave of calm in my life. Yes I can quite easily gamble in shops but a huge % of my gambling was done online and and taking that option away to the point where I physically have to go in to a shop has made a huge difference to my life.

fast forward to last week and using the exact same name, address, telephone number and Dob as registered to gamstop, I was able to open an online account with a well known company and lose a lot of money.

rightly or wrongly, I am in the process of trying to get that money back (and I’ll keep you all posted). I do feel let down by this company and I do feel they have failed me and the legislation in place. I know I have a huge problem and I am constantly seeking help but it’s proven a massive hurdle I have not yet overcome and people like me rely on these services to reduce the risk as much as possible.

I must say, I was surprised by the attitudes of some on here about people that have managed to gamble online despite their gamstop registration.

I have a massive gambling addiction- I freely admit that. Back in June I registered with gamstop and it was like a wave of calm in my life. Yes I can quite easily gamble in shops but a huge % of my gambling was done online and and taking that option away to the point where I physically have to go in to a shop has made a huge difference to my life.

fast forward to last week and using the exact same name, address, telephone number and Dob as registered to gamstop, I was able to open an online account with a well known company and lose a lot of money.

rightly or wrongly, I am in the process of trying to get that money back (and I’ll keep you all posted). I do feel let down by this company and I do feel they have failed me and the legislation in place. I know I have a huge problem and I am constantly seeking help but it’s proven a massive hurdle I have not yet overcome and people like me rely on these services to reduce the risk as much as possible.

Hi and welcome.
We would all hope that a ‘large, well known company’ had measures in place to stop this from happening if you have used identical details. You have my sympathy with this one as you seem to be able to be objective towards your addiction for the most part.
Good luck.

Is that company one which may be Lionised?
Nope. I’m always reluctant to say Who because I don’t want someone in my position to be able to gamble.

gamstop had been a revelation to me and having tried several ‘bookies’ (originally to test the service works but more recently to actually try and gamble) only one company has let me get passed the registration stage- sadly one is all it takes.

Hi and welcome.
We would all hope that a ‘large, well known company’ had measures in place to stop this from happening if you have used identical details. You have my sympathy with this one as you seem to be able to be objective towards your addiction for the most part.
Good luck.
Thank you. Yes the details really were identical so yes my main motivation is to get my money back but I am genuinely interested to understand how they didn’t block me and I genuinely would like to help ensure others don’t end up in the same boat as me.

my addiction is terrible, I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy. I’ve spent years trying to overcome it but right Now I don’t see how I’ll ever be totally free of it.

Thank you. Yes the details really were identical so yes my main motivation is to get my money back but I am genuinely interested to understand how they didn’t block me and I genuinely would like to help ensure others don’t end up in the same boat as me.

my addiction is terrible, I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy. I’ve spent years trying to overcome it but right Now I don’t see how I’ll ever be totally free of it.

You seem to have a good grasp on your addiction, so I can only help by sharing with you the bits that I have learned over the last 15 years... they work for me 99.5% of the time.

You need to keep focused on what you are risking. What do you stand to lose? Make sure this fear outweighs the ‘buzz’ of winning.

Learn to recognise when you are chasing your losses. It will end one of two ways. Based on experiences you can be confident which way it’s likely to go.

If you return to gambling You need a mate (even someone who you have never actually met) who you can talk slots with... share your wining screen shots with, but someone who will tell you to hit the withdraw button or who can point out when you are going ‘on a tilting session’. That’s where members of this forum can help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back