Q&A Ancestry DNA Test - Anyone Else Done One?

dunover

Unofficial T&C's Editor
Staff member
webmeister
PABnonaccred
PABnononaccred
CAG
mm3
I got a Christmas gift of this to join Ancestry dotcom so after a bit of registration and gobbing in December, got results back today.
This is pretty accurate as I already knew I had a Scottish male ancestor linked to Scandinavia and maternal familial links to SW England, so quite impressed!

I just wondered if anyone else has done this and got any confirmation or surprises?

dna.jpg

I suppose this makes me pretty typical for a male Englishman, like most white males I would be linked to Saxony and/or Scandinavia. Just hope I don't get a sudden notification I'm a third cousin of Gary Glitter or Barrymore lol...

Does the Norwegian connection make me eligible for Netent progressives now?

LOL - hello cousin!

But I'm 29% Welsh - I had a 2nd Great grandfather om my maternal side who was a miner and left Wales in 1850. Married a Welsh woman in the US.

Screenshot 2021-02-01 135814.jpg

But my fraternal side of the family came over from
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.
in Yorkshire in the early 1600s

Last edited:
What a brilliant idea for a gift, I'd love to know mine. I'm going to look into that
Yes, I got a voucher for a DNA test so joined and paid a single fee. It's very advanced now apparently and they warn you you could get a shock by finding siblings, half-siblings etc. you weren't aware of.

LOL - hello cousin!

But I'm 29% Welsh - I had a 2nd Great grandfather who was a miner and left Wales in 1850. Married a Welsh woman in the US.

View attachment 149936

But my fraternal side of the family came over from Almonsbury in Yorkshire in the early 1600s
A 'minor'?? So how come he was old enough to father children? :cheers: :lolup: :laugh::laugh::laugh:
LOL...you just edited that out...

Yes, all figures as your US connections are New England area, so you descend from the original Britain-US colonization it seems.

Yes, I got a voucher for a DNA test so joined and paid a single fee. It's very advanced now apparently and they warn you you could get a shock by finding siblings, half-siblings etc. you weren't aware of.
Fuck, I hope not! would be interesting though, my name translates as slave to Christ in Gaelic and I am in no way religious. I'm going to have to get my finger out and do a family tree though, always wanted to know a bit more history

I'm 25 percent Swede as well - but that's my maternal Grandfather - he was Swedish but born Brooklyn in 1906.
That means we're both eligible for Netent progressives then?

Didn't go the Ancestry route, but did a bit of family history and traced it back to a village outside Aberdeen in the 17th century. It was an interesting exercise and a few surprises along the way, including a family connection to the conductor Sir Adrian Boult.
All definitely worth the time spent on it.

If been happily married long enough, is it better to just believe this was just some scam where lost little bit money?

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back