Amy Winehouse found dead aged 27

DiamondGeezer

Dormant account
PABaccred
PABnoaccred
PABnononaccred2
Singer Amy Winehouse, 27, has been found dead at her north London home.

A Metropolitan Police spokesman confirmed that a 27-year-old woman had died in Camden and that the cause of death was as yet unexplained.

The Brit and Mercury prize-winner had struggled with drink and drug addiction and had recently spent time in rehab.

Her record label Universal called her "a gifted musician, artist and performer", adding: "Our prayers go out to Amy's family, friends and fans."

She pulled out of a comeback tour last month after a disastrous appearance at her first gig.
Jeered at gig

Winehouse cancelled the European tour after being jeered at the show in Serbia, when she appeared too drunk to perform.

For 90 minutes, she mumbled through parts of songs and at times left the stage - leaving her band to fill in.
Continue reading the main story
At the scene
Sangita Myska BBC News in Camden

Dozens of bouquets and candles have been left on the railings at the end of the road where Amy Winehouse lived.

Around 70 people, many of them under the age of 18, have gathered here at Camden Square, the place where neighbours say the singer had recently bought a home.

Most people here say they are fans of the singer who - despite a troubled personal life - was admired for the talent that shot her to fame. At least four people have claimed to be friends of the Winehouse family. All have appeared deeply distressed, asking officers for information.

Eyewitnesses say two ambulances arrived at the address just after 1600 BST and that police cars arrived shortly afterwards. Well over a dozen police officers are now quietly standing guard outside her home.

A car arrived earlier with four or five people who were visibly upset. The indication was that they seemed to know the singer as they were actually allowed through into the road.

A statement by the Metropolitan Police is expected shortly.

She had recently finished a course of alcohol rehabilitation in London and at the time was under strict instructions not to drink.

A section of the road where the singer lived was cordoned off on Saturday evening, as journalists, local residents and fans gathered at the police tapes.

Forensic officers were seen going in and out of the building.

Winehouse had won widespread acclaim with her 2003 debut album, Frank.

But it was 2006's Back to Black which brought her worldwide stardom, winning five Grammy Awards.

Rumours of Winehouse's death began circulating on Twitter on Saturday evening. Among those to comment was singer and actress Kelly Osbourne.

She tweeted: "i cant even breath right now im crying so hard i just lost 1 of my best friends. i love you forever Amy & will never forget the real you!"

Producer Salaam Remi, who worked on Winehouse's albums Frank and Back To Black, paid tribute to her saying: "Very Very Sad Day. Just lost a Great Friend and a Sister."

He added: "RIP my baby SiS Cherry Winehouse. Love ya always."

Rolling Stone Ronnie Wood announced he is to dedicate his Saturday night show on Absolute Radio to Winehouse. He said: "It's a very sad loss of a very good friend I spent many great times with".
Crowds gathered near Amy Winehouse's flat in north London Crowds gathered near Amy Winehouse's flat in north London

He added a reunion performance by his former group The Faces in Hurtwood, Surrey, would also be dedicated to the singer.

BBC Radio 1 DJ Fearne Cotton wrote: "Can not believe the news. Amy was a special girl. The saddest news."

Daily Telegraph rock critic Neil McCormick said he was "utterly shocked" at her death.
Last appearance

He said she had appeared focused when giving an "incredible performance" for a recent studio recording of a duet with Tony Bennett.

"It's deeply sad. It's the most completely tragic waste of talent that I can remember," he added.

Winehouse made her last public appearance on Wednesday night when she joined her goddaughter Dionne Bromfield on stage at The Roundhouse in Camden.

The singer danced with Bromfield and encouraged the audience to buy her album in the impromptu appearance before leaving the stage.

At the time she pulled out of the tour, her spokesman had said everyone wanted to do everything to "help her return to her best".

Shocking waste of talent though things had been spiralling out of control ever since she met that Blake Fielder-Civil guy-hes the one that introduced her to heroin.

Still came as a bit of a suprise though...

Great singer, beautiful voice, very difficult to find out in the current musical scenary...and an exit quite easy to expect.
RIP Amy.

I have loved her music from day one. A unique talent and wonderful voice. It's a shame that fame caused her to lose herself to alcohol and drugs. People around the world are sad to know she died. So am I.

The day I saw her bumbling through that concert (a few weeks ago), I said to my son she will be gone soon. Creepy that it was THIS soon, and sad.
She did have a beautiful voice. I was saying today if she had her shit together and her career had stayed on track we probably would not be subjected to Lady GaGa right now. Amy had the same kooky persona, odd fashion sense, etc., but she had the talent to go with, IMHO.

The day I saw her bumbling through that concert (a few weeks ago), I said to my son she will be gone soon. Creepy that it was THIS soon, and sad.
She did have a beautiful voice. I was saying today if she had her shit together and her career had stayed on track we probably would not be subjected to Lady GaGa right now. Amy had the same kooky persona, odd fashion sense, etc., but she had the talent to go with, IMHO.

Yep,

Have to agree that this was on the cards from the get go. no surpirses here if you ask me.

I knew she was in trouble when I read this quote from Keith Richards, they asked him which modern artists he admired and he said, "There's only one person. That girl Amy. Mind you, that girl isn't going to be around long unless she sorts herself out pretty quick. Amy's got to get smart."

When Keith Richards is saying that you're living too hard, you gotta be living too hard.

Her death at such a young age is sad, but I honestly don't think it really surprised anyone.

The sad thing is that people in general so admired her massive talent, yet abhored the seemingly inevitable waste of it due to alcohol and drug abuse...like watching a train wreck about to take place yet those close to her apparently unable to avoid it.

In these days of thumping repetition, outlandish gear and electronic gimmicks Amy Whitehouse certainly stood out as something special, but imo with that voice and her song writing ability she would have been remarkable anyway - and destined to become one of the really great entertainers.

As that DJ said in Diamond Geezer's original post: "It's deeply sad. It's the most completely tragic waste of talent that I can remember."

Well I just wonder how far she would have gotten without drugs. Cocaïne for instance.. It'll make you and most definitely break you in the end.

I'm not a fan of her music, but I'm familiar with drug use and the impact on, and pain it gives/brings to people.
I just feel like her career was totally drug induced so this ending makes sense. In my opinion unlike most musicians, who start using it when they are famous, and don't need it, I think she needed it.
Anyhow, I hope she has finally found her peace.

I've read that she had been diagnosed manic-depressive (bi-polar) ages ago, wouldn't take medication for it. Yet she 'self-medicated' generously... Go figure...

FTR ... I didn't even know who she was....

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back