A year ago today...

ksech

Dormant account
A year ago today, the area in which I live endured a devastating flood. 10 inches of rain. There were no human fatalities, by the grace of God. There were some poor animals trapped inside a Petco who lost their lives because mangement forbade the employees to remove the animals from their cages.

Most of the people in the area are still rebuilding, life moves on. People joined together, helping wherever they could...I was literally trapped, no electricity, no water, no food, no way to cook, no way off my "hill" , water all around, feeling like there was a moat all around me...

When I was finally able to get off the hill 5 days later, store shelves were empty, gas stations were closed...People were just standing in stores wondering what to do, where to go to get food, water, gas to run gnerators. Tractor trailers were lined up on the interstate waiting for the flood waters to recede to bring goods in. Shelters were set up then closed down as one shelter after another was flooded out.

The thing that truly amazed me through this whole ordeal...was how well people banded together to help each other out. Strangers reaching out to help strangers. They didn't wait for the Red Cross, FEMA or any other government agency to come in (not that any of that did any good anyways...). As soon as the waters started to recede the necessary people were right in there starting to work to restore whatever they could. It restored my faith in mankind, there STILL is good out there.

A moving video of what the area looked like (runtime 11:45 minutes The clearance of this underpass in the opening shot is 11 feet 8 inches..)...

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL Mother Nature seems to have an odd sense of humor...Not really funny though as many in this area are spending today cleaning up from damaging hail (some measured up to 1.75 inches in diameter) and high winds caused by a storm that moved through the area late yesterday. Many still without power (mine was restored finally at 2:30 am-10 hrs):thumbsup: Our weekend forecast... high force winds, damaging hail, heavy rain. Yipeee

Well, off to my sons to help remove the 5 trees that fell on his home during yesterdays storm. Thank goodness their bedroom is at the opposite end of the house or they would have been trapped.

To those who may be reading this that live in the south or have relatives in the south who have been affected by the tropical storm...My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your families. It's times like these that friends and family must band together. Please keep safe, no matter where you live. Mother Nature seems to be in some psycho PMS mode lately affecting all parts of the country. God bless and keep safe. Love you all!

Good to hear you and your family are ok...being in Florida I keep one eye on the weather a good bit of each hurricane season.

Rick

Ack, I was complaining last week that it was too dark in his house, he should cut down a few trees to let some natural light in :eek2: Luckily, no real structural damage as far as we could tell. Some roof damage, it totalled his gazebo, two trees were resting crisscrossed over the gazebo up against the gutters (but that protected the backside of his house from getting hit too badly, otherwise it would have gone through the sliding glass doors into his dining room). He has to put up new brackets for where the power line runs down the side of the house, have an electrician come and inspect before the electric can be turned back on (the trees tore all the electric and cable lines away from the house). There are all kinds of branches literally stabbed into the yard like arrows. His hottub is flattened. We're a little worried as one of his kitties got frightened when we were removing the trees from the back of the house. Hopefully, he has enough sense to come home now that the door is cleared.

The best news...the forecast has changed...at least for sunday!!! YAY!!! ***goin' to go look fer my dancin' shoes LMAO***

@universal4 - keep safe! Those hurricanes are nasty things! I was glad when my mother sold her home down there last year. She was on the Gulf coast in Fort Myers, about 1 mile from the beach. She's here in NY now, at least she's only 30 minutes away if something happens...better than the 21 hrs away like before!

Phew sounds like you guys have things at least in a manageable situation for the moment, don't worry too much about the kitty I swear they have a sixth sense about stuff like this!

I say put on your dancin shoes and you go girl:D

Ack, I was complaining last week that it was too dark in his house, he should cut down a few trees to let some natural light in :eek2:

:lolup: Hah...mother knows best! Glad there wasn't more damage and hope you and everyone down south make it through the storms ok. I was just reading about the flooding in Malta, it's pretty terrible there right now too. Mother nature is a force to be reckoned with no matter where you're at I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back