*77 Excellent Info!!!!!!!!!

LaurieJim

Paleo Meister (means really, really old)
Checked on Snopes and it is true. And it also said you can call 911!!!

Some know about the red light on cars, but not the *77. It was about 1:00 p.m. in the afternoon, and Lauren was driving to visit a friend. An UNMARKED police car pulled up behind her and put his lights on. Lauren's parents have always told her never to pull over for an unmarked car on the side of the road, but rather to wait until they get to a gas station, etc.
Ok girls. Pay attention to this

Lauren had actually listened to her parents advice, and promptly called*77 on her cell phone to tell the police dispatcher that she would not pull over right away. She proceeded to tell the dispatcher that there was
an unmarked police car with a flashing red light on his rooftop behind her.

The dispatcher checked to see if there were police cars where she was and there weren't, and he told her to keep driving, remain calm and that he had back up already on the way.

Ten minutes later 4 cop cars surrounded her and the unmarked
car behind her. One policeman went to her side and the others surrounded the car behind. They pulled the guy from the car and tackled him to the ground. The man was a convicted rapist and wanted for other crimes.

I never knew about the *77 Cell Phone Feature, but especially for a woman alone in a car, you should not pull over for an unmarked car. Apparently police have to respect your right to keep going to a safe place.

*Speaking to a service representative at ** Bell ** Mobility confirmed that
*77 was a direct link to State trooper info . So, now it's your turn to let your friends know about *77.

You may want to Send this to every woman (and man) you know. It may save a life.

This applies to ALL 50 states.

Edit: I took the time to read snopes and some is partly true while other is urban, it is always best to call 911 if you find yourself in this same spot, never pull over if you feel unsafe, go to a crowded area with lighting, the police have to respect your right to do so, just keep yourself aware of different numbers you can call from your cell, should you need help ..........laurie

Last edited:
Checked on Snopes and it is true. And it also said you can call 911!!!

This applies to ALL 50 states.
Well, snopes says "FALSE: Calling #77 on your cell phone in any state will connect you with highway patrol dispatchers" and "Although in a few states calling #77 on a cell phone will immediately connect you to that state's highway patrol, that code is far from universal. Some states use #77, but others use *55, *47, *77 or *HP, and some don't have any special code at all. Rather than frantically try to figure out which one will work in the area you're in, police generally recommend that the best approach is to get around the problem by trying 911 first".

In particular, the number for the Tennesse Highway Patrol is *THP (*847).

Well, snopes says "FALSE: Calling #77 on your cell phone in any state will connect you with highway patrol dispatchers" and "Although in a few states calling #77 on a cell phone will immediately connect you to that state's highway patrol, that code is far from universal. Some states use #77, but others use *55, *47, *77 or *HP, and some don't have any special code at all. Rather than frantically try to figure out which one will work in the area you're in, police generally recommend that the best approach is to get around the problem by trying 911 first".

In particular, the number for the Tennesse Highway Patrol is *THP (*847).[/quote]

I beat you to it oh GrandMaster lol, did you bother to read my edit at the bottom of the page? I read the same thing you did , thus my edit:rolleyes:

If one person finds themselves in this problem and *77 or 911 or just going on to the next well lighted area thats crowded helps, then the post was well worth it imho.....................laurie

It didnt say it was all false and i am aware of the*847 as i called it for car that lost control during a rain storm and was in a ditch, any number to get help on a cell phone is always a lifesaver to have............

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back