6 Natural ways to feel happier

just play

closed account
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

As someone who suffers from panic disorder and agoraphobia, I found this article interesting and somewhat informative. I myself do not believe all of it, because I have tried everything you can imagine, but I know walking my dogs does make me feel good and my anxiety is pretty well during our walks. I am posting this to hopefully help someone.

"It takes, on average, six years for people to get treated for mood disorders, according to a survey by the pharmaceutical company Eli Lilly. While suffering in silence is never a good idea, failing to seek help for anxiety or depression is downright dangerous, because the longer you wait, the worse things can get. In fact, increasing numbers of women are being diagnosed with a combination of anxiety and depression, because untreated anxiety can turn into depression and vice versa. This may be why two out of three depressed people also have symptoms of anxiety, according to Mental Health America."

With me it was about 6 years to be treated, and I know for a fact if I was treated sooner my anxiety/panic attacks wouldn't have turned into agoraphobia. If you or someone you know feel any of this hits home, please see a doctor sooner than later.

The only mood disorder I have that I know of is my charming grumpy sarcastic.... Well, you know what I mean but I have dated a woman with depression and I agree with everything you've said. Good post. :thumbsup:

In fact, increasing numbers of women are being diagnosed with a combination of anxiety and depression, because untreated anxiety can turn into depression and vice versa. This may be why two out of three depressed people also have symptoms of anxiety, according to Mental Health America."

I don't have depression per se, I get depressed (more like pissed off) that I can't do the things I want. This is where doctors get confused (in my professional opinion of 20 or so years of dealing with this disorder ;)) Not everyone falls into this category. Like I said above, I get "depressed" because I can't go out, I don't get depressed because I had/have untreated disorders.

I thought the ideas in this article were useful to an extent, but they for sure wouldn't cure depression/anxiety. I believe some people even doctors don't use terms correctly.

My anxiety is SOOOO much different than a normal persons anxiety. I have it every minute of the day, (even while on medication) where as a normal person (I'm using the term normal person to mean someone without a disorder) would only have it, say, on a job interview or something similar.

My opinion on this article is....those ideas should be used for normal people who need to chill out, but not for someone with a disorder. If you have depression or any other disorder none of those things in the article will help without proper medicine/seeing doctor. They may help short-term, but not long-term.

Sorry to ramble on, but this is something I feel strongly about obviously, and only wish people who know something is wrong (and yes you DO know something isn't right) should go immediately and try to get help. The stigmatism of depression/anxiety/panic are so terrible, people are often embarrased by it, and in turn go to drugs/alcohol instead of getting treated. I know many, someone even in my own family.

Anyway....hopefully this article will help some people.

Very interesting read, never realized having sunlight would be so beneficial, other than the factor of the vitamin D. But when I think about most people I know that have a lot of moodiness or depression or something like that also have dark homes.
I do enjoy waking in the mornings, opening up the blinds and letting the sun light the house. I'm outside off and on throughout the day and it does make me feel better, even if it's just for a few minutes.
Of course in the afternoon, the sun can be so hot and bright here, it feels like a super nova, so I stand back in the shade.
Thanks for the post, very informative.

Thanks for sharing. I recently ended up in the hospital ER, I have a heart murmur, but the symptoms I was experiencing weren't like "normal" attacks I'd had before. Chest pains, heart palpations, pain in the back left shoulder blade (this was one of the "not" right sypmtoms...usually the pain is in the back right shoulder blade), dizziness, headache. Come to find out after submitting to an EKG, Cat Scan and chest X-Rays, I was suffering from a panic attack. I hope I don't have one of these again for a very long time.

Very interesting read, never realized having sunlight would be so beneficial, other than the factor of the vitamin D. But when I think about most people I know that have a lot of moodiness or depression or something like that also have dark homes.
I do enjoy waking in the mornings, opening up the blinds and letting the sun light the house. I'm outside off and on throughout the day and it does make me feel better, even if it's just for a few minutes.
Of course in the afternoon, the sun can be so hot and bright here, it feels like a super nova, so I stand back in the shade.
Thanks for the post, very informative.

Many people have SAD (seasonal affective disorder)
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

I of course am the opposite...lol...I am much worse in the summer, I hate the heat.

I had the great idea of painting our livingroom chocolate with maroon curtains years back. Bad idea, no light, very dark, even though it looks nice. I have since switched the curtains to white with pastel colors and the room is bright and lovely. Now we just have to paint with a lighter color. Sigh...our livingroom is huge.

Thanks for sharing. I recently ended up in the hospital ER, I have a heart murmur, but the symptoms I was experiencing weren't like "normal" attacks I'd had before. Chest pains, heart palpations, pain in the back left shoulder blade (this was one of the "not" right sypmtoms...usually the pain is in the back right shoulder blade), dizziness, headache. Come to find out after submitting to an EKG, Cat Scan and chest X-Rays, I was suffering from a panic attack. I hope I don't have one of these again for a very long time.

Whenever people with panic disorder have problems it mostly gets chalked up to "you have panic disorder" the symptoms are exactly the same as a heart attack. I had a friend through the internet (we never met, both agoraphobic) she was having chest pains/etc...she didn't want to go to the doctor, she thought it was just a panic attack, she then died later that day. She was in her 30's, she did have a heart problem since birth, but I assume if she did go to the doctor she may be living today.

I don't get full out panic attacks often, because of my medication, but they are scary as shit! The other day I was bringing my daughter to my dads, I didn't feel good that day (sometimes anxiety is worse some days for no reason) I got half way there, starting feeling dizzy/nervous/etc, I had to turn around and go back home. He lives like 2 miles away. :rolleyes: That is the agoraphobia stirring it's ugly head, along with the panic attacks sticking their nose in for good measure...lol

I suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder, and have since childhood. I'd had many episodes of depression before it was diagnosed, and some since. I like to think of it as a risk factor for depression, and not depression.

All the suggestions on the list are good ones, and I can add one simple one... sing. I'm not a good singer, but it uses a different part of your brain, and releases feel good endorphins also. Even singing sad songs to get your pain exorcised.

Most of my close friends know that i suffer from panic attacks and its a very scary thing to go thru, for anyone who has never had one, you will think you are dying, its that bad ,like having a heart attack, so many things are racing in your mind as fast as your pulse itself.

I have had them for about 9 years now and its pretty much controlled by relaxation, deep breathing,aromatheropy as well as medication, i call my happy pills.

This is someting i would never wish on anyone as you never know when one will rear its ugly head, it can come when your happy and all is good, it knows no class, race, or social status, you have that need to get up and start moving around as you feel like your just being overcome by something that you know is not normal and you are losing control.

Its nothing to be ashamed of and can be treated, some have it much worse than i do and i feel for you, mine are about 3 times a week at the most and do not last that long, I just take a pill, tell myself," you know whats happening, it will pass soon and all will be back to normal again".

I refuse to let it control me and my life, i will not go back to living in fear of something thats mind over matter, for some this isnt possible as every person is different in how they battle this horrid beast.

Laurie

Just Play,

I am humbled by your ability to share this horrible disease and it's effects with others. Like many "emotional diseases" people just do not understand that it is, in fact, a "real disease".

Anxiety alone has decimated a lot of people who did not get help. Full blown agoraphobia is a severe disorder that needs medical attention.

I wish you the best, that you can overcome and learn to control your problems. It is a long, hard road I can imagine.

Good Luck.

Just Play,

I am humbled by your ability to share this horrible disease and it's effects with others. Like many "emotional diseases" people just do not understand that it is, in fact, a "real disease".

Anxiety alone has decimated a lot of people who did not get help. Full blown agoraphobia is a severe disorder that needs medical attention.

I wish you the best, that you can overcome and learn to control your problems. It is a long, hard road I can imagine.

Good Luck.

If I had only 1 penny for every person that told me "it's all in your head" or "just go out" I would be SO VERY RICH.

I know of a few members here who suffer some sort of mental disorder, some share, some don't. For me, I like to share as much as possible so there is some chance to help someone.

There are different beliefs if this is genetic, I happen to think it is. I worry for my 2 daughters. My oldest is now 20, I first started "feeling funny" in my mid 20's.

I don't know what's worse, the agoraphobia or the panic attacks, like Laurie said, they are scary as shit, (no her exact words ;) ) you think you are having a heart attack, you know in your head your not, but what if on the off chance you are?

I am thinking of changing medicine (SSRI) not my xanax. But it's a horrendous ordeal. You have to wean off your current medicine (sometimes) then start the new one without knowing what's going to happen. The panic attacks come VERY strongly in the first 2 weeks of new medicine (at least with me they did on my other 2 tries) then you have to wait it out for a month or so to see if it works. If it doesn't, you do the process all over again with the med you were taking. It sucks!!!

Anyway like I said before, I hope this thread helps at least one person get the help they need and I will be happy!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back