So my house went on Fire last week!

mimi26

Meister Member
Yep after just getting a new kitchen fitted my washing machine (plug) sent the utility room on fire and destroyed everything electrical, fridge, dryer dishwasher tumble dryer and microwave as well as badly smoke damaging my new units!

Anyway I guess I am after some advice searched you tube etc and cant really find anything on how to remove smoke damage, I am just washing it around in circles.

Also BEKO who the washing machine was from came out for an inspection, they sent me an email saying its noting to do with them so F Off basically, the fire started within minutes of me switching on my machine. I had been working nights and woke at 1pm went down to put my machine on and then returned to bed if I had fell asleep quickly it probably would have been a different story now! and thank god for our amazing emergency services who arrived within 6 minutes of phoning them or I would have lost a lot more

Does anyone know how I could go about issuing a small claims against them or if this is the route to go down, it started at the plug and they are saying that as the plug cant be tested then they are not at fault but the plug was melted to a blob and threw away.

I am just at my wits end now after days of cleaning and arguing! No insurance either, yep simple oversight on my part

You will need an expert independent report to bolster any small claims action.

Can the fire brigade not help in establishing what the cause of the fire was?

Surely if the new washing machine came with the plug fitted they must in some way be responsible. Either the shop you brought it from or the manufacturer. Unless its your electrical wiring. Has this been checked to make sure you are safe ?

Definitely get insurance going forward.

I wouldn't give up trying to get compensation.

Did fire brigade do a report at all?

Glad you are ok.

What Interlog says as the socket will have to be inspected too I would imagine.

It would probably be a civil action in the small claims court too, sure you can get information and advice online if you google the court or maybe Consumer Forums can help better with advice - good luck.

You will need an expert independent report to bolster any small claims action.

Can the fire brigade not help in establishing what the cause of the fire was?

No TBH they just put the fire out and went on their way, I dont think they investigate unless someone is hurt, I haven't heard of them since the fire, it was definitely the plug though it was in flames at that area when I went in the kitchen

Surely if the new washing machine came with the plug fitted they must in some way be responsible. Either the shop you brought it from or the manufacturer. Unless its your electrical wiring. Has this been checked to make sure you are safe ?

Definitely get insurance going forward.

I wouldn't give up trying to get compensation.

Did fire brigade do a report at all?

Glad you are ok.

Had it since February this year, funnily when I first got it it kept tripping the lecy but I just changed the plug to a different socket and it seemed to work fine, No report from fire brigade.

The beko inspector who came out said to me he cant say whether the plug did or didnt start the fire and the next day I got a email to say no its not their fault.

Insurance is already in place now, I have never been one for insurance as very skeptical of them not paying people out but I have learned my lesson now!

Had it since February this year, funnily when I first got it it kept tripping the lecy but I just changed the plug to a different socket and it seemed to work fine, No report from fire brigade.

The beko inspector who came out said to me he cant say whether the plug did or didnt start the fire and the next day I got a email to say no its not their fault.

Insurance is already in place now, I have never been one for insurance as very skeptical of them not paying people out but I have learned my lesson now!

Plugs can be tested its called pat testing so they should know whether it was tested prior to installation really

You should get electrical wiring checked maybe. I would seek legal advice about challenging the assumption its not their plug at fault though.

Plugs can be tested its called pat testing so they should know whether it was tested prior to installation really

You should get electrical wiring checked maybe. I would seek legal advice about challenging the assumption its not their plug at fault though.

First thing I did was get all my wiring tested and everything was fine, I have a really good fuse board apparently and any problems it would just trip it.

I am trying to see it from BEKOs point of view and if they admit fault they would probably have to recall this machine type but on the other hand I am unhappy with the engineer visit as all he did was take photos

First thing I did was get all my wiring tested and everything was fine, I have a really good fuse board apparently and any problems it would just trip it.

I am trying to see it from BEKOs point of view and if they admit fault they would probably have to recall this machine type but on the other hand I am unhappy with the engineer visit as all he did was take photos

I think you have a good case if you have a report proving wiring ok. I'd contact CAB for advice.

That is shocking, especially after what happened at the Grenfell Tower fire. You would have thought a proper inspection was going to be done, rather than just taking a few pictures!

That is shocking, especially after what happened at the Grenfell Tower fire. You would have thought a proper inspection was going to be done, rather than just taking a few pictures!

YepI thought it was shocking, the email they sent me kept emphasizing the word 'visual inspection' as well, so basically he has took the pics sent them in and someone has decided its not their fault

Not good

Yep after just getting a new kitchen fitted my washing machine (plug) sent the utility room on fire and destroyed everything electrical, fridge, dryer dishwasher tumble dryer and microwave as well as badly smoke damaging my new units!

Anyway I guess I am after some advice searched you tube etc and cant really find anything on how to remove smoke damage, I am just washing it around in circles.

Also BEKO who the washing machine was from came out for an inspection, they sent me an email saying its noting to do with them so F Off basically, the fire started within minutes of me switching on my machine. I had been working nights and woke at 1pm went down to put my machine on and then returned to bed if I had fell asleep quickly it probably would have been a different story now! and thank god for our amazing emergency services who arrived within 6 minutes of phoning them or I would have lost a lot more

Does anyone know how I could go about issuing a small claims against them or if this is the route to go down, it started at the plug and they are saying that as the plug cant be tested then they are not at fault but the plug was melted to a blob and threw away.

I am just at my wits end now after days of cleaning and arguing! No insurance either, yep simple oversight on my part
Try suger soap it may work . As for the company get a independent expert to come out and do a inspection if it proves it's the machine then produce that to the washing machine company.
Stating you are going to seek legal advise as there product is at faulty hopefully they may not want bad publicity. Remember they had to recall lots of condenser dryers due to fire risk.
This is what I would do in your position.
Remember be persistent don't back down hopefully you get a good outcome :)

Try suger soap it may work . As for the company get a independent expert to come out and do a inspection if it proves it's the machine then produce that to the washing machine company.
Stating you are going to seek legal advise as there product is at faulty hopefully they may not want bad publicity. Remember they had to recall lots of condenser dryers due to fire risk.
This is what I would do in your position.
Remember be persistent don't back down hopefully you get a good outcome :)

Just trying sugar soap now, its a laborious task but hopefully will be a good start

The beko inspector is always going to say it wasnt their fault and hope the customer forgets about it. You need to hire a independent investigator. Did you take pictures of where the fire started and leave it alone?

Something the same happened to me. A company about 2km from my old house was blasting using dynamite. One day they must have used alot or closer to my house but the blast shook my entire house. Parts of my foundation cracked. I called the company and told them and they came over and looked. They said they hired an engineer to assess the damage so he came and looked. His final report was it had nothing to do with the company.

After research I found out the engineer they hired was a company they used for their services over 50 times. So it was obviously a bias engineer. I hired my own and plus another professional. Both said it was the blast. I brought the findings to the company and low and behold they agreed to fix all damage instead or me taking them to court.

So basically, you cannot trust when a company sends out one of their own to investigate.

As for scrubbing, try and find a product called TSP. Its what painters use to scrub walls if their is smoke damage etc

I agree with others, try to search around and get an independent person to come out and see if they can trace what caused it, even if it wasn't the washing machine no doubt you want to know so it doesn't happen again. Spending some money on a report might be worth it. With my limited knowledge of electrics, would be surprised if it was your wiring, the board should have tripped, and I would be looking at the plug. I don't see how Beko's engineer can say otherwise from a visual inspection tbh :( .

Cant help with the smoke damage, but have seen people say trisodium phosphate (TSP) is good, maybe worth a google?

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back