Are we happier today than in times gone by?

I grew a beard last night and was sucking on a pipe :D

What a coincidence: i grew a pipe and sucked on a beard!

As for the question: i was a lot happier two minutes ago before i got click-baited into this silly thread :p
Joke ofc mate, i think in general i'm happier overall since getting older and wiser.
part of that is of course that the longer you live, the more suffering you see around you, and personally experience - which kind of teaches you to appreciate more what you have etc..

So yeah, i'd say i'm happier: Now all that's left is to get richer! :D

To be honest, i miss the good old days of my late teenager and early twenties life.... worry free as it could be, would be out partying a whole night with $10-$15, no big job problems (young enough to find something at anytime), old car that didn't need much attention, small apartment (still paid a retired lady to have it cleaned twice a week), living my passion on weekends (DJ with vinyls!!! ), camping holidays with 30-40 friends (always a blast), backpacking and hitchhiking through most of Europe (spread over a few years, longest was 6 months from Germany to Turkey and back)... the list goes on and on.

Approaching 50 years, that energy is gone as much as I hate to admit it. :oops:

Overall, I was happier in the past, today I call it "satisfied" and happy from within. And although I appreciate the latest gadgetry and online development, I do wish sometimes to have the quiet and "slow" days back. I grew up with no phone, no TV until i was 8, on a farm in a VERY rural area. The speed of life was in slow motion, I always had the impression the days lasted longer then :).

Last edited:
Very happy today! :thumbsup:

Just got home from a society golf day, which despite playing pretty crap, I managed to beat 19 other people and win the event! :cool:
That made me happy.

It was a charity day in memory of members who are sadly not with us any more, and we raised £450 for a local hospice.
That made me happy.

Oh... and last night I won 10 thousand pounds on Troll Hunters (see Show me the Money Screenshots thread)
That made me happy too! ;)

KK

Last edited:
No, because the digital world sucks. It's like mental masturbation. Another example, when was the last time you pulled into a petrol station or gas station and someone greeted you , checked your oil , cleaned your windscreen, put air in your tyres/tires and you paid the bill without ever leaving the car. Is the world better today , hell no, the service is crap if any at all. Even Monaco host a McDou and A Starbucks, the Prince is blowing it big time allowing cruise ships to dock and their tourists to roam at will. Time is the passing of moments, a moment is an ever living present. And the digital world leaves no memories because the senses are not engaged for the brain to register the moment, unless of course clicking a mouse gets you off. Which sticks in your mind the most, the last time you got laid or the last time you jerked off. That's the difference between todays world and days pass. I'll take days past anytime regardless of age. Excuse my crude metaphors, but they fit.

No, because the digital world sucks. It's like mental masturbation. Another example, when was the last time you pulled into a petrol station or gas station and someone greeted you , checked your oil , cleaned your windscreen, put air in your tyres/tires and you paid the bill without ever leaving the car. Is the world better today , hell no, the service is crap if any at all. Even Monaco host a McDou and A Starbucks, the Prince is blowing it big time allowing cruise ships to dock and their tourists to roam at will. Time is the passing of moments, a moment is an ever living present. And the digital world leaves no memories because the senses are not engaged for the brain to register the moment, unless of course clicking a mouse gets you off. Which sticks in your mind the most, the last time you got laid or the last time you jerked off. That's the difference between todays world and days pass. I'll take days past anytime regardless of age. Excuse my crude metaphors, but they fit.

The Prince is about to announce that he is opening his docks to asylum seekers boats and dingy's too,so I heard :D

Good or bad I believe that the internet has had a huge influence on societies around the world. It was not that long ago that folk where quite content to live and never roam much further than too the nearest City. They formed their beliefs on what was locally excepted norms. Today those in 3rd world Countries and those living under suppression have access to knowledge and information of how folk live in more prosperous Countries and like what is on offer.
Who can blame them?

What a rant..... Spot on. I LOVE IT :thumbsup:

I went to Sweden to stock up my alcohol supplies today(Norway is so expensive), so I'm quite happy. Planning to be even more happy in a few hours :D

Happier or not... Who knows, really, what a hard question (but good one, though).

Well, I have a job of my dream (in gambling), and must admit that knowledge from this forum helps me like a...a.. 100000 times. I have good salary etc. But I'm now 26 years old (yeah, yeah, most of you will smile), and it is not like when I was 18. And in 30 it will be not like in 26. Etc etc. It's life and time, nothing else.

Okay, answer :D I'm happy because I am still here, still alive, ok with health and everything is ok with my family and close to me people. I don't need anything else. If only 3 wild lines at DOA at max bet or a lot of diamonds at bonanza with x 20 multiplied :notworthy

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back