Motorways on Sundays in UK *tips appreciated*

lotusch

A little mix of Dutch and Irish
Hey guys,

I just wanted to know if traffic will be much less busy on Sundays on the UK motorways.
I am asking as I am travelling from Holyhead to Dover on Sunday July 2nd.
Sometimes I take the 9pm boat in Dublin and travel to Dover at night time which is great as no queues. But it is very tiring as I would be awake already a full day :)
Last year when I came back from Dover to Holyhead it was a Friday afternoon and the queues were outrageous and insane!! Especially where you go on the M40...The M6 is a bit better but still can be a pain.

I am thinking of driving the alternative route anyway.
A55 but at Bangor change to A5 all the way to Telford and then M54 / M6 - M40 - M20.
Will most likely make a pitstop just after London and stay there for the night.
So any not too expensive hotels in that area? Last year I slept in Canterbury, lovely place and close to Dover.

If someone lives along that route, I can hop in for a cuppa! :D:D

Thanks for the advice all.

Sorry, I can't give any advice as pretty much the only time I go on UK motorways is the M25 & M11 to Stansted Airport & back. Sunday should be a lot better that week-days - but our roads seem to be able to get blocked at any time on any day... :(
So I'm just posting to wish you good luck! :thumbsup:

(If you take a wrong turn and end up on the coast 60 miles West of Dover - let me know & I'll put the kettle on!)

KK

You know Raging Rhino has 'Bonus Guarantee'?? Well UK motorways have a 'Roadworks Guarantee' and it's all about avoiding those. If it's a baking hot day like recently over 30c allow more time as the peasantry will be trekking to various coastal resorts. Use a live traffic report if possible. You may find from Holyhead it'll be easier to go across the Midlands than go south to M5 then M4 as the M5 is the main holiday route. Once in the Midlands you have choices to go to London, M1, M40 etc. to get to the M25 and then M2. It shouldn't be too bad, as no football traffic this time of year either. :thumbsup:

It's just impossible to say on our roads but on Sundays I'd always try and leave as early as possible as traffic starts to get going around 10am. The key is to pick routes that aren't taking people to hot-spots like the beach if it's hot.

Check roadworks the day before though. On a "good day", M6, M42, M40, M25, M20 is going to be your best bet IMO. The alternative (M6, M1, M25, M20) is a reasonable option (but a harder drive IMO) if roadworks feature. Plus you'd get the Dartford Toll on that route although that is much better than it used to be now you pay online. The M40 is so much nicer than the M1 too: more scenic and usually less busy.

You know Raging Rhino has 'Bonus Guarantee'?? Well UK motorways have a 'Roadworks Guarantee' and it's all about avoiding those. If it's a baking hot day like recently over 30c allow more time as the peasantry will be trekking to various coastal resorts. Use a live traffic report if possible. You may find from Holyhead it'll be easier to go across the Midlands than go south to M5 then M4 as the M5 is the main holiday route. Once in the Midlands you have choices to go to London, M1, M40 etc. to get to the M25 and then M2. It shouldn't be too bad, as no football traffic this time of year either. :thumbsup:
'Peasantry' and coastal resorts go hand in hand. A father either malnutritioned covered in tattoo's sporting a fag in mouth pose and holding the hand of a obese whale, or the opposite end of the spectrum a male blessed with the knowledge of steroids driving a Range Rover having a barbie doll in the passenger seat, the moment they all get out the car we hear bad language and the partner lights a lambert and butler....off to build sand castle's they happily trudge!..

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back