Good news and bad news

Today was not my best day ever.

Yesterday I noticed that my left eye was really blurry, like there was a film over it. It didn't hurt or itch, but it didn't resolve itself in a few hours.

So after returning home from a day in Ottawa, I took myself down to the ER.

Wasn't a stroke, that's always good news. Set me up with an emergency appointment for the eye clinic today, which was actually what I expected out of a nighttime visit to the ER.

Turns out I have an uncommon kind of cataract, fast growing, called PSC. It grows in weeks or months, not years like the age-related ones. And I have one in both eyes, so I can expect the right to follow fairly soon.

Good news is that it's treatable through surgery, bad news is there is probably month's of waiting, in which time I may have the "good" eye progress to the point where I can't read, distinguish faces, etc.

Today both eyes are worse after all the testing, drops, freezing etc.

Good news, got a mailer for a $50 free chip. Bad news, can't enjoy playing it.

It's not painful, but feels something like someone smeared vasaline on my eyeball I can't wipe out.

I'm an athiest, so please save your prayers. But I'd gladly take a virtual hug or two, I'm feeling kinda discouraged.

Even if I do spend some time peering through heavy fog, it will come right in the end. I'm not at much risk of losing my vision permanently. We do one eye at a time here in Canada to minimize that risk, in case of complications.

BTW, the surgery is the same cataract surgery that's performed for age-related cataracts.

I'll probably be spending less time online as I am blurry, and a little photo-sensitive. Which I have not yet decided is good news or bad news.

But some good news for all of you. Watch CM promotions for something from me to mark 8 years of membership here on March 12th. I'd asked the Meister about it a bit ago, and he needs to approve the promo I have not yet submitted.

This community has meant an awful lot to me over the years, and I hope I don't have to miss out due to temporary vision problems, even for a few weeks.

Best wishes and have faith (not in any gods but competent doctors lol).
I wish you well. You're one of very few people who have leaked over from CM to fb and to whom I consider a.friend. Stay strong :)

Ps as a strong reader try a few books on your device using Google play. You can reverse the pages from black print on white paper to white print on black paper which is easier on the eyes especially if light sensitive and the new function alters the print to shades of orange as.your room darkens.making it even easier on your eyes. :)

Jas, we wish you all the best. If you need to talk, just let us know.

Hugs, Swede & Cyn

Virtual hug sent to you Jas. You will be seeing right again in no time. I hope they wont make you wait the month though cause that kinda sucks. Happy 8th anniversary on the forum. :)

If I could get my arms around that Purple Hippo I'd give her a hug - but she just won't stand still!!!

On a sensible note - My grandad had cataracts surgery and it worked wonders. A very, strong, 'men of men' type of fella who ended up needing day to day help finding things (except how to find the pub). Yet, post surgery, he knew exactly how much change I was taking from his shovel like hands.

Hmmm, that was supposed to be a sensible example of encouragement. Oh look, a dancing hippo!

Don't you take some priority on the list cuz it's so progressive? Also I would bother them by calling and staying on their back weekly ...and complaining....

I send you big hugs and hope the operation happens soon...

Sorry to hear that Jas! The good thing is it is treatable! Hope you don't have to wait to long! Will be praying and thinking of you! Good luck to you and please keep us posted.

Lori

My friend, you will find the roses will smell sweeter, etc. I know your pain. An arterial tear has rendered me almost blind in my right eye. Only a matter of time till sight is gone completely for me. Yet still, we will see each other often!

Very sorry to hear of your troubles Jaz. Very best wishes to you for a tolerable wait and a successful surgery.

You have to deal with that for a whole month. Ouch that has to suck. Things like that have to be absolutely annoying. Its like a bad toothache that you cant do anything with until you can find the time to see a dentist. You always notice it. And when it has to do with your sight, it sucks even more.

A friend of mine had an eye issue where she couldnt see well for a bit and it used to give her panic attacks. Ive always cherished my sight and have felt absolutely terrible for blind people. Especially the ones that used to be able to see but cant anymore. That would be so scary.

Glad yours is treatable.

Good luck!

My mother did that surgery a couple of years back and it did wonder with her eyes. She had glasses all of her life before this and it was tough learning to see her without them after :) We're really lucky to live in a time when we can get help.

It's a bit odd too read this today. I've been telling people for a couple of days now that I finally can see again after getting new glasses, and are so happy with them. I've had/have problems with my eyes and it really sucks when the problem comes and almost makes it impossible to sit by the computer. Or in my case, taking pictures.

A hug per day from me and I hope you don't have to wait for too long :thumbsup:

Hang in there Jazzy!

Let's hope they find a spot for you sooner then planned..
Huge virtual hug from me!

Have your lovely daughter come by, or someone else with a little modern tech knowledge, and let them set up a humongous playlist with all the greatest stories ever written, performed as audiobook:)

At least you'll have something to 'read' this way...
Hope that the OP will improve your quality of life, meaning that you find, as some reported, that after the OP you will see ten times better then before you started having these issues!

*smooch

Virtual hug from me Jazzy. I had a huge tumour removed near my right kidney last Dec so please return the hug.

A big hug to you too from me :thumbsup: I've noticed you haven't been in here that often.
I really hope you're ok now? You've had your share of things already before so this was horrible news.

Big hugs to ya hon. Hang in there till they get off their azzes and get that eye all fixed up.

GetWellSoon_BucketOfSmiles_VD-vi22.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back