Stopped Smoking - Week 1

Jd666

Riff Raff
CAG
mm4
Well, took me longer than anticipated to give this a go.
At 10pm GMT tonight, I wont have had a cig for a week.

And by heck, its been bloody hard.

Been smoking for about 33 years but did stop for 18 months nearly 30 years ago and only started again because i was pissed and found a packet of JPS in a pub with 7 cigs still in it.

Been to a stop smoking clinic for the second time today and they are prescribing me some Nicorette Lozenges, I didnt want patches as tried them a few years ago and didnt do good with them.

But now I have my own little stop smoking kit.

Found the Polos at Poundstretcher, 12 packets for a quid

sm.jpg

Great stuff man...
I will follow you shortly...

I was off them for 1.5 years and then started again and have been on them since...

First of all I want to live more healthy and fags are defo not part of that...
Second of all the price of a pack of smokes is getting to a ridiculous level here now...

I am talking about nearly 12 Euro for a pack of Marlboro Gold...
In The Netherlands I pay half of that...

But I am fed up with smoking and I will have a go at quitting soon, just have to prepare and clear my mind and just do it...

I never used niquotine replacing products and quit cold turkey the first time and am planning of doing same this time...

Anyway rambling on here, good luck man and 1 week is already a good start!!!

I always used to buy chuppa chup lollipops, those helped me a lot too... :D

Last edited:
Great stuff man...
I will follow you shortly...

I was off them for 1.5 years and then started again and have been on them since...

First of all I want to live more healthy and fags are defo not part of that...
Second of all the price of a pack of smokes is getting to a ridiculous level here now...

I am talking about nearly 12 Euro for a pack of Marlboro Gold...
In The Netherlands I pay half of that...

But I am fed up with smoking and I will have a go at quitting soon, just have to prepare and clear my mind and just do it...

I never used niquotine replacing products and quit cold turkey the first time and am planning of doing same this time...

Anyway rambling on her, good luck man and 1 week is already a good start!!!

I always used to buy chuppa chup lollipops, those helped me a lot too... :D

First time I quit, I didnt either.
I got a chest infection and couldnt stand cigs, when I was better I didnt even fancy one.

Thanks people, I didnt want to say anything before incase I gave in, but hopefully got the worst out of the way now

^^ Bad cold / Man flu exactly how I last gave it a go!

No aids or Nicoteen replacement aids, just pure cold Turkey.

Sounds daft but first few days were a lot easier than I anticipated, once cold started to fade, plenty of Polo's as JD has (amazing how these never affected the taste of my pint as I smoked a lot more when drinking)

The nightmare came after a week or so.

Serious palpitations like I had never experienced in my life, muscle spasms and craps in places I didn't even know I had muscles, cold sweats which turned into boiling sweats, dizzy spells to the extent I had to sit down there and then and FAST!

Worst withdrawal ever (aren't these usually a good thing :p)

Didn't give up tho and just as these had started to settle to a manageable level, I fell off the wagon and started again after a total of nearly 3 months :( :oops:

With the rising cost (and regular rising) of a pack of 20 these days, Think I'll be forced to quit soon myself for a totally different reason.

Well, took me longer than anticipated to give this a go.
At 10pm GMT tonight, I wont have had a cig for a week.

And by heck, its been bloody hard.

Been smoking for about 33 years but did stop for 18 months nearly 30 years ago and only started again because i was pissed and found a packet of JPS in a pub with 7 cigs still in it.

Been to a stop smoking clinic for the second time today and they are prescribing me some Nicorette Lozenges, I didnt want patches as tried them a few years ago and didnt do good with them.

But now I have my own little stop smoking kit.

Found the Polos at Poundstretcher, 12 packets for a quid

View attachment 76352

20 fags a day = stained teeth.
20 Polos a day = no teeth. :eek2:

Good luck JD. I gave up a few years ago for 6 months. I got myself pretty fit in that time but I think I over did it and my immunity was effected. I got seriously bad flu which kept me in bed for two weeks. When recovering I took a fag from a mate then it all went to dust. A week in you should be over the worst physically so now you just need to keep strong and determined. 

Good luck JD. I gave up a few years ago for 6 months. I got myself pretty fit in that time but I think I over did it and my immunity was effected. I got seriously bad flu which kept me in bed for two weeks. When recovering I took a fag from a mate then it all went to dust. A week in you should be over the worst physically so now you just need to keep strong and determined. 

Have you thought of giving it another bash?

Try and use the Nicotine substitutes only for emergencies. You need to wean yourself off the nicotine as well as the habit of smoking. Not easy. I'm 23 years now. Was on 40 a day and went cold turkey once I decide to stop.
I only used the nicotine gum 3 times over a 6 week period, and each time I did I got so "high" I realised that I needed to avoid using it.

Good luck.

Impressive JD, you've got the hardest part behind you now. Still smoking here but your story is an inspiration!

Try and use the Nicotine substitutes only for emergencies. You need to wean yourself off the nicotine as well as the habit of smoking. Not easy. I'm 23 years now. Was on 40 a day and went cold turkey once I decide to stop.
I only used the nicotine gum 3 times over a 6 week period, and each time I did I got so "high" I realised that I needed to avoid using it.

Good luck.

I couldnt go cold turkey.

Im in a fuck of a mood this morning as it is and thats with puffing on the ecig.

I can see someone getting a trolley rammed up their arse in Morrisons later if they get in my way :laugh:

I couldnt go cold turkey.

Im in a fuck of a mood this morning as it is and thats with puffing on the ecig.

I can see someone getting a trolley rammed up their arse in Morrisons later if they get in my way :laugh:

lol :lolup:

Wouldn't recommend that to anyone who's trying to stop mate, fucking horrible "side effects" and withdrawal symptoms.

I have never been aggressive in my life (don't have the physique to be to be honest lol :oops:) but recall when I was in week 2 or 3 of Cold Turkey quitting and I noticed a tiny fag burn in my shirt. Decided to start on my then mate who was like 8 times my size "You dirty smokers %^$^$&........"

Soon put back in my place, :oops:

lol :lolup:

Wouldn't recommend that to anyone who's trying to stop mate, fucking horrible "side effects" and withdrawal symptoms.

I have never been aggressive in my life (don't have the physique to be to be honest lol :oops:) but recall when I was in week 2 or 3 of Cold Turkey quitting and I noticed a tiny fag burn in my shirt. Decided to start on my then mate who was like 8 times my size "You dirty smokers %^$^$&........"

Soon put back in my place, :oops:

Amazingly, it wasnt that busy so no one really got in my way.
Used to get more annoyed when I was smoking.

I shall avoid pensioners day on Monday though :laugh:

Good for you JD...just this last month alone..we have had 3 friends have heart attacks all from smoking .... 1 of them was only 49 and the other 2 in their 50s...very

sad to say one of them never made it to hospital. My whole family smoked when I was growing up and I was very lucky never to pick it up. I always hated the smell. I

bartended for years so had my fair share of second hand smoke. Good luck I hope you can stick with it!!!!

Good luck JD! There is no easy way.

Smoking regular cigs has a regular time limit and way of smoking. The, hand-to-mouth, the time to 'smoke' and the stomping out of the cig. It is the same old, repeat rinse, kinda thing.

The Vaping? You do not have the same 'need'. There isn't a fire risk, urgency to put out, or other old habits of regular smoking.

Then, when you rid yourself of the habits of regular smoking, and then 'vape', you know that you have that urgency beat.

Then, you can know that you have the e-cig but you don't need to use it as a regular cig.

It worked for me. I do not use e-cigs anymore. I am nicotine free and yes, it is a hard thing to do. It's a brain thing. ;)

Good luck and a longer life.

Good for you JD...just this last month alone..we have had 3 friends have heart attacks all from smoking .... 1 of them was only 49 and the other 2 in their 50s...very

sad to say one of them never made it to hospital. My whole family smoked when I was growing up and I was very lucky never to pick it up. I always hated the smell. I

bartended for years so had my fair share of second hand smoke. Good luck I hope you can stick with it!!!!

Cheers :thumbsup:

Totally hits home when you see things like that

Good luck JD! There is no easy way.

Smoking regular cigs has a regular time limit and way of smoking. The, hand-to-mouth, the time to 'smoke' and the stomping out of the cig. It is the same old, repeat rinse, kinda thing.

The Vaping? You do not have the same 'need'. There isn't a fire risk, urgency to put out, or other old habits of regular smoking.

Then, when you rid yourself of the habits of regular smoking, and then 'vape', you know that you have that urgency beat.

Then, you can know that you have the e-cig but you don't need to use it as a regular cig.

It worked for me. I do not use e-cigs anymore. I am nicotine free and yes, it is a hard thing to do. It's a brain thing. ;)

Good luck and a longer life.

Nice one.

I dont want to switch one addiction for another, so dont want to be on an e cig for another 20 years lol.

Want to start lowering the nicotine level after a while and get down to 0%

Was in a vaping shop this morning looking at different tanks and all they was on about was the best things to give out more cloud.
Told them im not interested in big clouds, using it as a stop smoking aid not a smoke machine.

Nice one.

I dont want to switch one addiction for another, so dont want to be on an e cig for another 20 years lol.

Want to start lowering the nicotine level after a while and get down to 0%

Was in a vaping shop this morning looking at different tanks and all they was on about was the best things to give out more cloud.
Told them im not interested in big clouds, using it as a stop smoking aid not a smoke machine.

Yes, it's a change of routine. Changing the 'routine' of regular smoking is key. It's just trying to trick your 'addictive' side of the brain into a different pattern of thought. I hope I am making sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back