Instant $1m or 50% chance to win $100m?

Definitely Red, imagine the feeling if you choose Green but don't get it.

I'm assuming that this would be a hypothetical situation where my investment is zero and as such i don't really lose anything but still why risk it :p .

If the amounts were lower then i might be more willing to risk it but not with such large amounts.

Wife and I agree on green. We don't have either anyway, might as well go for it. At least that's us. Would suck to lose the million, but boy O boy will it be wicked to win the 50 million. You know how much taco bell I can eat with that kinda money?

No brainer for me, and instant million would kill the high rolling maniac inside me instantaneously!
A million is just that point i will probably never cross, getting one would surely provide for some good slotting :D

Of that million, I would probably spent 100K max betting on BDBA to see if i could make it 100 million that way ^^

What about collusion?

Everybody in a group gambles for the $100 million and shares the proceeds, that's $50 million per group member on average, better than any one member picking the $1 million.

It's no contest really, it would have to be red. Can you imagine how downbeat you would feel if you turned the million down and then went on to lose the 50 / 50 bet, it would be bordering suicide!

I think a more challenging question would be to take 100k instantly or have a 50 / 50 shot at 2 million. I believe as it stands, most people would be happy with red as a million is still a significant amount, so change the question goddammitt!

Green, as long as I knew for sure that the 50/50 chance would be decided completely fairly and transparently

A million usd is about 640 grand. You couldn't buy a decent house in Old Lenzie for that, so while it would be fantastic to win it's not really 'living the dream' money.
It would certainly make life much more pleasant and comfortable but many have worked their way through that much before, having thought they'd changed their lives forever.

But 100 mill would be something entirely different. Boys toys, yacht, honeys aplenty.
Worth a coinflip imo

Red most definitely, bearing in mind that 'He that cannot keep a penny shall never have many'!

Green, as long as I knew for sure that the 50/50 chance would be decided completely fairly and transparently

A million usd is about 640 grand. You couldn't buy a decent house in Old Lenzie for that, so while it would be fantastic to win it's not really 'living the dream' money.
It would certainly make life much more pleasant and comfortable but many have worked their way through that much before, having thought they'd changed their lives forever.

But 100 mill would be something entirely different. Boys toys, yacht, honeys aplenty.
Worth a coinflip imo

Some people have blown $100 million and ended their lives penniless. Michael Jackson is one example. he probably earned far more than this in his career, but his ill fated comeback tour was because he needed the money as he was living off credit at the time.

Many people may well take the certainty of a million rather than take a 50% chance of ending up with nothing at all. Whilst you can't live the high life, a million is enough to provide for a comfortable life, but one where there is still the challenge of bettering oneself. $100 million could leave no incentive other than to decay in luxury. $100 million is also far more than the average person could get through living a "normal" lifestyle. Remember, even if invested on bank deposit, the income alone could be $1 million or more per year.

A clever and motivated person could also turn $1 million into $100 million or more, it's been done before, and people have even come from nothing to get richer than this through their own work and motivation. It would also lead to a more rewarding lifestyle.

I believe the biggest lottery wins have exceeded $100 million, and people have paid their Pound, Euro, or Dollar and ended up with a 100,000,000 x bet payout. A more ordinary life changing win tends to be between 1 million and 10 million, and is seen in the UK lottery and many of the bigger network progressive slots. Mega Moolah has made a number of players richer by between 1 million and 6 million, but the average seems to be between 2 and 4 million.

It would be nice;)

I do occasionally put a few hundred spins though, just in case, but so far my best has been the £100+ minor:(

I'm happy for those who said green - because 1 mil wouldnt be too life changing for you...
I would go for RED for sure. In many places in the world you could actually survive without having to work ever again with 1 mil... with the right investments and living simply.

I am colour-blind so please pick for me lol. Nah, if one is thrilled to win a few thousand quid he wouldn't risk pushing green. Reduce the amounts to $100k and 10 mil respectively and you might get very different answers. Gamblers are addicted but not crazy.

Red. I'll never see a million in my lifetime and my dreams aren't that grandiose. A mortgage free home so my pay cheques are free to spend is more than fine. Besides, why would I even NEED 100 million? I wasn't raised a socialite. A cool mil could already change my life for so many ways for the good. Deffo red.

I'd have to go red i'm just not that greedy,

considering the intrest alone would proberly be a lot more a week than i have now,:)

I'm happy for those who said green - because 1 mil wouldnt be too life changing for you...
I would go for RED for sure. In many places in the world you could actually survive without having to work ever again with 1 mil... with the right investments and living simply.

For the record, average cost of a 3 bed room home in in many areas including my own on the low end is 150K - 200K. That 1 million after our U.S. government gets done with it would be more around the 600K mark. Subtract purchasing a home for your family and you're looking at 350K - 400K left. In other words for those who would play it safe and not make any risky investments, that wouldn't be much to retire on. I'm 31 would certainly not be set for life, unless I'm dieing next year. So yes I would go big, simply because I can stomach losing 350K - 400K, and as my wife said we don't have it anyway. We both work hard, and are happy with out living situation. If we win we win. If not O well. Not to mention I would easily want to give a large chunk to my parents and my wifes parents. On that amount giving them each 50K (100K total for one side - 200K total for both) would be the likely option. Yea I'm living the comfortable life now. Sounds like I'm getting what me and my wife already make with our combined incomes.

I'm not sure what your comment was suppose to mean, but I doubt it was meant in good heart, as it really wasn't needed. And as someone else referred to the choice of picking green as stupid.

Sorry we voted the way we did. Next time I'll try to please you instead of living my life the way I choose :rolleyes:

Edit: In terms of need. We have talked about this countless times as it's fun to do. We each agree on giving parents a large amount. Her brother, my sister, a large amount. And our closes best friends a large amount. Pay of all of their bills first, and then the one lump sum after. Everyone named has sacrificed much for us, and helped us get where we are. Their support is unquestioned. It has little to do with spending money on nice cars and stupid crap. And keep in mind we area now only working with 350K-400K. It would be a nice chunk, but not life changing for us.

It would be nice to have that kind of fund, to dolly out as we see fit. Their are a few things I would like to do to help our association at work as well, which would cost a pretty penny.

edit: Sorry these thoughts aren't clear and concise, but I'm rushing to start getting ready before wife loses it on me. We are suppose to be heading to a wedding rehearsal thing.

edit 2: Please see post number 29. Leaving this one up for thread integrity.

Last edited:
One is life changing money, the other isn't. Easy green.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back