Australia.

secret2

irishbrit62
The reason I started this thread is because of my ....well, firstly, my fascination of the most deadly poisonous reptiles, jelly fish and my Biggest fear of all....spiders in the world.

It seems that Australia holds the most deadliest critters of all.

I loved Steve Irwin...so to my fellow Aussie posters...the questions are:

Have you experienced a deadly snake, spider, Box Jelly fish etc...?

I am just fascinated with people living amongst the deadliest creatures in the world..

Right on track I'll guess. I really thought that Nifty was the most dangerous creature here. :D

Yes, Nifty has a very dangerous tongue....just ask a Cadbury's Egg;)...but anyway ...:oops: (yes, Nifty, it's here to stay..lol)

...I am curious as to how many times an Aussie comes in contact with a deadly critter, per week, month, year?

Was just surfing and came across this. Pretty scary Aussie critters if y'ask me

(came with this caption: There is a no more beautiful time in a man's life than when he is carrying a beer baby. Nurture yours this Australia Day with some good Aussie beer.

bb.jpg

You get used to it... well sort of :eek:

Right now our problem is bushfires is some states... and cyclones in others! Here in QLD where I am it hasn't stopped raining for 72 hours with 200 odd mls of rain in the last 12!

Prior to that it hadn't rained for months and this is supposed to be our wet season. We had bushfires up here 2 weeks ago!!! Most unusual!! Sure is making up for it now with the amount of rain we've had in the last couple of days.

As for the critters? Biggest problem where I am is mosquitoes! You can't step outside even during the day without being bitten!

Normally no issues- you have more chance of being hit by a car than attacked by a shark- beaches close when the box jellyfish are about and avoiding blue ringed octopuses are merely commonsense as they live in specific types of pools and turn blue as a warning.

But the SPIDERS! yuck I paralyze at the sight of the huntsman- (big, hairy and scary looking but not poisonous). I did have a wee adventure with the deadly Sydney Funnel Web. One of the males wandered into my upstairs during their mating season- my cat who was on the bed suddenly froze and started staring at the windowsill behind the bed - as this is his warning sign for huntsman spiders (he takes great joy in spider hunting) I leapt out of bed then noticed the spider was much bigger and the wrong shape for a huntsman- when it reared up to bite down when Leonard trapped it - I just ran!!

I assumed it had been killed (but slept downstairs anyway) Went up the following night and decided to just check and moved the bedhead- yep and it ran up a line of web- I ran down- picked up cat took him upstairs and after several thumps of cat jumping and hissing and the reappearance of the cat, checked and finally found dead spider which was confirmed as a male funnel web (but i squashed it with a shoe just to make sure). Leonard received salmon for tea and me- I STILL haven't slept in that bedroom since (3 years ago)

Oh and for the other animal lovers don't panic - while funnel webs are the most venomous spider in the world as far as their effect on humans- they have absolutely no effect on dogs or cats.

Secret2, what have you started?:eek2:

Colly I feel for you. Suddenly it feels great living up in Scandinavia where we don't have any creatures like that.

I just went looking at a Funnel Web at youtube, thinking of posting some here. I couldn't even watch 2 minuts of it so if anyone is a little sensitive - don't watch! It's crawling all over me right now:oops:

Hi All,

Well I'm from the top of AUS in a place called Darwin.

I have quite a few aboriginal friends and years ago I had the opportunity to go and stay with a friend of mine on his parents property just outside of Darwin called "daly river"- now this rive is INFESTED with Saltwater crocs that you see both in the water and on the banks of the river. I was out there for a few days helping clear the block of land from trees etc as they were about to make a house in the middle of there land and the nearest shop was about ys drive away- Anyway for our water source we had to go to a section of the Daly river where it was fresh water (saltwater crocs can and do live in freshwater aswell) and fill up 20-30 litre water jugs and take them back to our tents. One day my friend said it was our turn to go and get the water and as he said this grabbed a 12 gauge shot gun and away we go on his quad bike to the river. One of us had to stand with the shotgun and scan the water looking for crocs whilst the other filled the water jugs. we were knee high in mud so there was no quick get away if a croc lunged at us from the water so I had my eyes glued to anything and everything in that water. We were 15 years of age and shitting ourselves but had to do it, Luckily we filled those jugs and got out of there before anything really happend.

You've got me started now as I have a lot of these stories for you mate.

Another time myself and a friend were fishing in a pretty safe area called "rapid creek" which was a saltwater creek that was kind of a snake bend to it. It was the boxjelly fish season and you could easily see them in the water as the current was strong as the tide came in. Anyway one of us had this crzy idea to SWIM across this creek to the other side and try a few different fishing spots. It was literally a 30 second swim from one side of the creek to the other or you could walk for 15 minutes and cross by land so we decided to swim. We get about a third of the way across when my friend starts screaming his head off- As soon as he sreamed my heart skipped thinking he's been taken by a croc as we are right next to each other but im a little more down stream than him but wqe could still touch each other. As we both get out of the water I then realised WHY he was screaming- his legs were covered in boxjelly fish tenticles andf his legs were red raw. Another person who was fishing heard my mates screams and ran over to us and luck have it this other fisherman had a botttle of vinigar( vinigar neutralizes the stings pretty quickly) and poured it all over my friends legs and put gloves on and peeled the tentacles off of my friend. The pain subsided enough for us to carry him to this fishermans car and we took him to the hospital where he made a full recovery- he was there for a week with badly swalon legs but at least nothing further happended to him- we still keep in touch and always talk of that day.

When I was in high school I knew this kid but wasnt friends with him or anything- well unfortunatly about 10ears ago it was on the news and papers that we he attacked and eaten by a crocodile.
I found the article on it and here it is

23rd December 2003

Finnis River 80 kilmetres south west of Darwin Northern Territory

3 Teenage boys quad biking stopped to wash the mud off themselves in the Finnis River which was flooding due to a recent cyclone. Brett Mann a diesel mechanic from Darwin slipped into deeper fast flowing water and his friends Shaun Blower & Ashley McGough swam to his aid.

Ashley and Shaun saw the 4 metre crocoile and Ashley screamed out a warning before he and Shaun climbed into the top of a tree that was partially underwater. Neither of them saw Brett taken but as they looked for their friend the Crocodile surfaced with Bretts body in it's mouth and seemingly waved the boys body in the direction of the other two while looking at them.

The Crocodile swam away with Brett. The Crocodile returned a short while later circling the tree and eyeing the boys trapped in the top of the tree. The boys spent the night in the tree before they were found by searchers and air winched by a helicopter to safety.

Authorities are still looking for Bretts body and the Crocodile.

There has been no report of either being found some 3 days after the attack.

Oz Magic offers our condolences to the family of Brett Mann.

Oz Magic Note:

The Finnis River is well known for being home to large Crocodiles. In the "dry season" the rivers dries up into a series of separate Billabongs with very high steep banks. In the "wet season" it can turn into a fast flowing river joining all the billabongs together.

The author of this section has been invited fishing on a property at Batchelor that the Finnis River runs through. After being shown the tiny 2 man boat he was to go fishing in Gary refused the invitation.

The Billabongs had a creepy feeling about them and the knowledge that large Crocodiles could be anywhere just made the fishing trip in a tiny 2 man wooden boat seem not worth the risk. A large crocodile could easily snatch a person from this boat as they sat in it.

Oz Magic urges all visitors and locals to start taking the threat of Crocodile attack seriously. They have been protected for over 30 years and in 30 years a Crocodile will grow to a very large size, which means there are numerous large Crocodiles in Northern Australia. With a little caution and common sense nearly all Crocodile attacks can be avoided.

Here is the link where you can find MANY more attacks in my home town
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

All I can say is when you a born and bread into a place like darwin you become somewhat of a hard arse but always respect your surroundings- these boys were true bushman who knew there shit but it just wasnt to be on that day.

I worked on a prawn trawler for 8 years and would be out at sea for NINE months a year and not touch land- I have photos that I will upload of SEA snakes biting my gum boots- me surfing on the back of a 15 foot tiger shark that we caught ion our nets but the best one is of me out on the boom of my boat ( have you seen the fishing boats that have the big side arms that come out the side of the boats that hold the fishing nets?- well im out on this small pole and in the water you can see about 20 sharks circling me waiting for me to fall into the water- I had NO harness or anything for support just a small railing to hold onto.

I've got plenty more stories if any of you want to hear them.

Regards,

Same_old

I live in Australia, Deadly spiders are a common household occurrence over here... I sometimes handle Huntsmans.

C'mon- lolol huntsmans do sweet FA- they get huge in size but they have no venom- your daddy long legs has way more kick than a huntsman its just there fangs are to small.

C'mon- lolol huntsmans do sweet FA- they get huge in size but they have no venom- your daddy long legs has way more kick than a huntsman its just there fangs are to small.

True but huntsman are scary looking and they sneak up on you and can move like lightning- still would much rather see a huntsman than a funnel web in my room though!

Interestingly the huntsman is actually responsible for more deaths and injuries than the funnel web- not because they are venomous but because they like to hang out in cars and suddenly appear inside the windscreen (did I mention they are sneaky and scary!) many people instinctively react in terror and many consequently crash the car

By Same Old:
"I've got plenty more stories if any of you want to hear them.

Regards,

Same_old "

Please keep 'em coming...amazing stuff and glad you survived!

Yes, I saw a documentary on the box-jelly fish. A lady was stung by one and the film showed the pain she was in...incredible pain.

Aren't the box jelly fish tiny? Or do they vary in size?

Amazing stories....:cool:

Little off, but close to:

Went snorkeling in Indonesia. There were these weird snakey looking things hanging out of coral; I'm like 'neat', paddling, watching them an inch away.
I went to shore and told my buddy, hes like 'er dude, thats like the 3rd deadliest thing on the planet'

Went snorkeling in Indonesia. There were these weird snakey looking things hanging out of coral; I'm like 'neat', paddling, watching them an inch away.
I went to shore and told my buddy, hes like 'er dude, thats like the 3rd deadliest thing on the planet'

Moray? I saw one of those snorkelling in the Maldives a few years back. Thought it was a rock so swam towards it and just as I got there realised it had teeth. It swam off through the coral and it went on forever lol.

On the same trip I was snorkelling and through the murky underwater gloom saw a huuuuge shark swimming towards me., Never scrambled so fast, got out onto the beach and told my g/f. She pointed and said "That one?" just as this shark about a foot long with a small fin swam past! You forget how water magnifies stuff :D Oh yea...and tuna! They're blue?! Wtf is that all about?!

On the spider front: here's one to look forward to ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Wow...sometimes ignorance is bliss...since not knowing , there isn't fear.

I had a delivery years ago, when I didn't know what a Rottweiler was ( yes, it's true) . I unlatched the gate to make my delivery and 7 of the cutest gorgeous but very huge dogs ran towards me from different directions. I thought,...nice welcoming committee...they licked me and sniffed me and I went to the front door to make my delivery with a smile.

The lady was quite shocked and asked how I got in? I just said I opened the gate? and walked in?...

She was quite shocked.

Normally no issues- you have more chance of being hit by a car than attacked by a shark- beaches close when the box jellyfish are about and avoiding blue ringed octopuses are merely commonsense as they live in specific types of pools and turn blue as a warning.

But the SPIDERS! yuck I paralyze at the sight of the huntsman- (big, hairy and scary looking but not poisonous). I did have a wee adventure with the deadly Sydney Funnel Web. One of the males wandered into my upstairs during their mating season- my cat who was on the bed suddenly froze and started staring at the windowsill behind the bed - as this is his warning sign for huntsman spiders (he takes great joy in spider hunting) I leapt out of bed then noticed the spider was much bigger and the wrong shape for a huntsman- when it reared up to bite down when Leonard trapped it - I just ran!!

I assumed it had been killed (but slept downstairs anyway) Went up the following night and decided to just check and moved the bedhead- yep and it ran up a line of web- I ran down- picked up cat took him upstairs and after several thumps of cat jumping and hissing and the reappearance of the cat, checked and finally found dead spider which was confirmed as a male funnel web (but i squashed it with a shoe just to make sure). Leonard received salmon for tea and me- I STILL haven't slept in that bedroom since (3 years ago)

Oh and for the other animal lovers don't panic - while funnel webs are the most venomous spider in the world as far as their effect on humans- they have absolutely no effect on dogs or cats.

Thats soo scarey!:eek2: We were supposed to move to Aussie next year but Im fast changing my mind... lol! Spiders scare the heck out of me:oops::p Oh in saying all that, we're moving to Brisbane - pretty central so no bugs or snakes or any other nasties should be around the city right?:confused:

I love a good days (week) of fishing, camping and the general outdoors. The problem with this is most places I fish or visit frequently require me to be fully decked out in gear such as this:

2009-11-10-6-40-50 pm.jpg

In all seriousness though, I cannot count the amount of times me or friends fishing with me have been struck by a snake like this guy

Tiger-Snake(1).jpg

He is a tiger snake and can cause you to become quite sick along with some of his cousins red bellied black, brown and copper head.

90% of the time though you wont even see him just sitting there backing in the sun until you are literally on top of him and even then most of the time they will disappear quicker than you have soiled your pants.

Onto the spiders, I won't need to say much as the pictures will do the talking, but most of these can be found pretty commonly in Aussie homes.

White Tailed Spider
white-tailed-spider.jpg
Has a pretty nasty reputation

Trap Door Spider
Sydney-brown-trapdoor-spider-JohanCG-Fagerholm.jpg
Awaits for you to walk past and then grabs you by the leg

Red Back Spider
redback-spider.jpg
Very dangerous, usually hides in dark spaces just watching and waiting.

Mouse Spider
mouse spider.jpg
Very pretty, DO NOT TOUCH!

Funnel Web
sydney-funnel-web.jpg
This is the spider Colly was referring to and sicking their cat at it. This is one nasty spider, as Colly said it rears up ready for a fight and is also known to chase animals and humans.

Huntsman
branded-huntsman-holconia-sp.jpg

And the poor huntsman, this one is not dangerous at all, but since it was mentioned in the thread thought I would show him off. Can grow quite large, is very fast and can fit into the smallest of cracks and holes. Can be handles and shown some love unlike the above. He also is very often found with less legs than he was born with.

Thats soo scarey!:eek2: We were supposed to move to Aussie next year but Im fast changing my mind... lol! Spiders scare the heck out of me:oops::p Oh in saying all that, we're moving to Brisbane - pretty central so no bugs or snakes or any other nasties should be around the city right?:confused:

Of course- they all know not to come within the city limits!!:thumbsup:

Seriously though you wont see funnel webs as they are in a region of about 150KMs around Sydney only. Most people would be surprised what is in their backyard- and that's the point- Incidents like mine are a rarity and most encounters- bush beach or city - can usually be avoided by common sense. eg yu don't surf at an unmeshed beach in WA next to seal colony-your chances of meeting a great white will increase exponentially- its there feeding ground- swim at bondi beach and you more likely to get sunburn than ever see any type of shark.

Seriously people there are lots of dangerous things out there but most of them are in their own environment, part of the ecosystem and want absolutely nothing to do with us and usually react out of fear or surprise not attack.

Walking around in any USA city or crossing the road in Australia is much more dangerous on the stats. People are by far the most dangerous animals on the planet.

LIES !! ALL LIES!!!

Don't let them fool you folks. I heard a guy talking about this on TV and he showed me the light! .... It's all a massive con!

Australia is a tropical paradise with sunshine, cheap beer, sandy beaches and beautiful women! The problem with the Aussies is greed... so they invented all these 'killer spiders' to scare off the tourists and immigrants. yep, Seriousely.. it's like a bad episode of scooby doo. Soon they'll be trying to keep us away with the stories of the scary pirate ghosts! To quote Flava Flav... dont believe the hype!! Book your tickets now.

Now Canada... canada has some seriousley screwed up spiders....

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back