Was I treated fairly by my bookie??

animalambulance

Dormant account
Hi all,

i'm a well seasoned gambler from London who is also a regular punter of horses and tend to have around 20 or 30 bets a month throughout the year but will bet more on flat horses than those going over the sticks.I tend to follow horses and will back a select few every time they run regardless of where they are running.

Last month one of the horses that I am following was running abroad at Arlington USA in a very big prize money race-The BEVERLY D Stakes worth around $750,000.The race was due to be run late on Saturday night UK time-about 23.00 ish-and I wanted to back Gifted Girl e/w.

On the Friday before the race I looked on the internet to see which UK bookies were taking bets on the race and what prices were on offer.At the time of looking there was only one bookie quoting prices -Paddy Power at 13/2-so I had £40.00 e/w.The next day-Saturday,the day of the race,I was in the mood to get a bit more money down on Gifted Girl so went onto the internet to see what prices were on offer.Paddy Power were still laying 13/2 and there were no other shows available as they were the only bookie quoting so I used a free-bet that I had on my account for £20 to get another tenner each way on my horse.

After making myself a cup of tea I then went onto the Arlington website to have a read and see what the likely starting price was likely to be.I was a bit shocked to read that they were predicting a price of between 15/1 and 16/1 as I had only been offered 13/2.I was feeling a bit miffed and phoned the Paddy Power helpline-about 90 minutes before the advertised start time- to ask nicely if my bet could be settled at the starting price as opposed to the early price that I had taken.My request was refused so I then asked if it could be voided as the race had not been run yet-this request was also refused even though there was plenty of time to cancel it before start time- and my bets had to stand.

At about 9pm BetVictor started to lay prices on the race and they were quoting 12/1 for my horse so I had another £40.00 e/w with them at 12's.Well the race was run-my selection was well beaten by Dank-and came in 2nd at an official starting price of 119/10 so BetVictor's 12/1 was just about the right price.Both Paddy Power and BetVictor paid me out but there was quite a difference in the amounts paid for identical stakes.I felt that I had been hard done by and decided to write an email PaddyPower to politely ask if they were willing to give me a free-bet to even things up a bit as a goodwill gesture as they had given me such a poor price on Gifted Girl.
Paddy Power decided that there was nothing that they could do for me and that was the end of the matter.
This did not go down well and as a result of their refusal I decided to stop betting with them because in my opinion they were not the "punters friend" that they like to call themselves in all of their advertising material-more like the "punters fiend" in my mind!!Luckily the very next day I was going to be backing another horse that was on my list so I put all my available funds from my account on to it at 2/1 and it won easily so we parted company with a nice withdrawal to go into my bank and I could wave Bye-Bye to them while not using all of my fingers!!

Did I do the right thing?Do you think that they were right and I've got it wrong?

Since leaving them I have been betting with BetFred who absolutely delighted me the week before last when paying me out in full on an each way bet when the horse was subsequently disqualified by the stewards and placed 2nd.I did query the payout before withdrawing it as I didn't want to take it if I was not entitled only to be told that generally they will pay out on first past the post as well as any amended results up to £5,000

Are you serious? When you lay a bet it’s set at the price stated at that time, would you ask to change it if the odds were reduced, I very much doubt it.

Fairness is not in question, it's the rules.

Hi all,

i'm a well seasoned gambler from London who is also a regular punter of horses and tend to have around 20 or 30 bets a month throughout the year but will bet more on flat horses than those going over the sticks.I tend to follow horses and will back a select few every time they run regardless of where they are running.

Last month one of the horses that I am following was running abroad at Arlington USA in a very big prize money race-The BEVERLY D Stakes worth around $750,000.The race was due to be run late on Saturday night UK time-about 23.00 ish-and I wanted to back Gifted Girl e/w.

On the Friday before the race I looked on the internet to see which UK bookies were taking bets on the race and what prices were on offer.At the time of looking there was only one bookie quoting prices -Paddy Power at 13/2-so I had £40.00 e/w.The next day-Saturday,the day of the race,I was in the mood to get a bit more money down on Gifted Girl so went onto the internet to see what prices were on offer.Paddy Power were still laying 13/2 and there were no other shows available as they were the only bookie quoting so I used a free-bet that I had on my account for £20 to get another tenner each way on my horse.

After making myself a cup of tea I then went onto the Arlington website to have a read and see what the likely starting price was likely to be.I was a bit shocked to read that they were predicting a price of between 15/1 and 16/1 as I had only been offered 13/2.I was feeling a bit miffed and phoned the Paddy Power helpline-about 90 minutes before the advertised start time- to ask nicely if my bet could be settled at the starting price as opposed to the early price that I had taken.My request was refused so I then asked if it could be voided as the race had not been run yet-this request was also refused even though there was plenty of time to cancel it before start time- and my bets had to stand.

At about 9pm BetVictor started to lay prices on the race and they were quoting 12/1 for my horse so I had another £40.00 e/w with them at 12's.Well the race was run-my selection was well beaten by Dank-and came in 2nd at an official starting price of 119/10 so BetVictor's 12/1 was just about the right price.Both Paddy Power and BetVictor paid me out but there was quite a difference in the amounts paid for identical stakes.I felt that I had been hard done by and decided to write an email PaddyPower to politely ask if they were willing to give me a free-bet to even things up a bit as a goodwill gesture as they had given me such a poor price on Gifted Girl.
Paddy Power decided that there was nothing that they could do for me and that was the end of the matter.
This did not go down well and as a result of their refusal I decided to stop betting with them because in my opinion they were not the "punters friend" that they like to call themselves in all of their advertising material-more like the "punters fiend" in my mind!!Luckily the very next day I was going to be backing another horse that was on my list so I put all my available funds from my account on to it at 2/1 and it won easily so we parted company with a nice withdrawal to go into my bank and I could wave Bye-Bye to them while not using all of my fingers!!

Did I do the right thing?Do you think that they were right and I've got it wrong?

Since leaving them I have been betting with BetFred who absolutely delighted me the week before last when paying me out in full on an each way bet when the horse was subsequently disqualified by the stewards and placed 2nd.I did query the payout before withdrawing it as I didn't want to take it if I was not entitled only to be told that generally they will pay out on first past the post as well as any amended results up to £5,000

Well, you say you're a well seasoned gambler and you complain about the price changing prior to the start? Each bookie has its own quotations for games and you're not obligated to accept them. There is a difference between the bookies and the price can change anytime based on events. Once you agree with the price, you agree by those terms. You can't have it both ways...the quotations can go up or down after placing a bet.

If you really don't want to be confronted with seeing higher odds after placing your bet, then the best thing you could do is place your bet 5 minutes prior to the start. That way you won't feel guilty or frustrated because of changed odds.

It's a free market - you pays your money and selects your choice. If supermarket A is selling 8 cans of coke at £2.00 and Supermarket B is selling them at £3.50, it's a bit like buying them at supermarket B and then asking for a voucher as they were dearer than A. Each business sets what price it likes, and you can be a customer or not. No valid beef here at all.

Hi again All,

Thanks for the feedback-it has made me see the other side of the coin.

I can accept what has been said about supply and demand and knowing that it was my own fool choice to accept the 13/2 offered at the time.
When bookies set out their early prices ,including Anti-Post a long time before the race,I guess that they must dig them up from somewhere and it's my own silly fault for not doing some more research before accepting what is on offer.I think that greed had something to do with it as I didn't want to find myself in a position where I was unable to get a bet on the race as I thought my horse would make the frame for certain and with a bit of luck could get past the post in front of the rest.

I even tried opening an online account with a USA based bookie to be able to get the actual course starting price but due to being located here in the UK didn't meet the criteria required.

If I had been offered a much bigger price than the expected SP and not taken 13/2 I would have been all over them like fleas on a hairy dogs coat and considered myself to be very fortunate when getting paid out at above the going rate but when I found out that in my stupidity I had accepted a much shorter price than it would start at I felt like I had shot myself in the foot and handicapped myself even before the stalls had opened.

If nothing else I have learnt a lesson by doing this and in future will try harder to ensure that I don't bet before I have done as much digging as possible to try and get a price that is fair.

I know that in the past I have grinned from ear to ear when backing horses at early prices that have won and returned at SP's far shorter than I took and on this occasion the bookie got his/her own back by laying at a price to me that they could lay it off themselves and be certain of making a profit on the transaction.

Thanks again for the advice given-I fully accept what's been said and as a result have changed my mind so that in the future I may bet again with Paddy Power if they are offering the best price on a particular horse that I want to back.To me life is one big gamble and providing I generally come out "in front" on taking early prices about my selections I will be content and happy as I know that I can't have things all my own way.

Kind Regards from a rainy London

Fair play for taking it on the chin with the advice given, just familurise yourself with places like oddschecker in the future so youll know who has the best price at that exact moment, or use betfair, where prices tend to be within 0.5+/0.5- to what the bookies are offering. grats on the win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back