Pinball Skill Games

Fonedevil

Dormant account
Last edited by a moderator:
You can argue skill versus luck til doomsday.

IMO, if practice can make the outcome better, then there is learning involved and it is a game of skill.

All skill games have a measure of luck involved, the skill lies in learning how to manage the random occurrance in a way that improves the outcome for you.

Pinball was a skill game back in the 60s and 70s when everything was mechanical and nearly each and every pinball machine was different and our maths whiz had to pull out all the stops to work out what the match numbers to get a replay. Everything changed when this was altered to electronic games and suddenly the games were much less interesting. Just my 2c.

Pinball was a skill game back in the 60s and 70s when everything was mechanical and nearly each and every pinball machine was different and our maths whiz had to pull out all the stops to work out what the match numbers to get a replay. Everything changed when this was altered to electronic games and suddenly the games were much less interesting. Just my 2c.

the electric ones were also skill games, but later luck started to play an increasing part due to "silly" features that awarded huge scores that were out of proportion to the skill involved in getting them.
Much of the skill revolved around the machine being present in the "real world". This allowed imperfections and physics to play a large part, and it was possible to learn through play and become a grand master. Nudging the table also played a part, the art was to nudge it enough to alter the path of the ball without triggering the "tilt" mechanisms.

I played extensively between 1979 and 1982 at university, and made money at it by selling off replay credits at a lower price than charged by the machine. I wasn't the only one doing this. One week, one table survived entirely on two 10p coins inserted on Sunday evening, which was all the company found when they emptied it the following Friday:D The next week, the replay scores had been doubled, and so had the height of the back legs it seemed:D It made twice as much that week
:lolup:

Your barred!!

:eek:

Please supply ALL your details so that I can automatically bar you from entry to my new site :D

:eek:

Please supply ALL your details so that I can automatically bar you from entry to my new site :D

Name: Vinylweatherman Dot Net

Address: None, I am male and normally wear the trousers.

Past Occupations:

Meteorologist,
Pinball Wizard (Won London monthly 6 months in a row after which it closed up shop & my clutch cable "snapped" on the day of month 7), 2nd in "world" championship (Romford Essex I believe - it was ages ago).

Student
Schoolboy and amateur weather forecaster
Small Child - first introduction to slot systems, emptied fruity at holiday camp.
Baby
Sperm

Banned from:-

The Point,
Brighton (except the pier),
Blackpool pleasure beach,
Cole's Funfair
Forton Services (ban expired)
Southwaite services (for "doing" a Payrise TWICE in 1990's) (also expired)
Skill Pinball site (newest ban):p

Dilemma

With those credentials its difficult to decide whether to ban
you or make you a partner!! :notworthy

If you'd be up for it.. I'd at least like to invite you to test the
games system when its back up and running. The site was prviously
running and Im trying to revive it.

OH! I am IN.. let me know when you get this up and running.

I love PinBall games :D

I played a lot of pinball back in the late 70s/early 80s too. I gotten pretty good playing the Evel Knievel electronic pinball machine. But I hate it when arcade operators would make the pinball table so steep that the ball goes fast straight for the gap between the flippers.:mad: If I was smarter then, I'd would sacrifice one ball (tilt) to put something underneath the front legs to level out the play-field more (if I could get away with it). I don't know if that would cause permanent "tilt" or not.

I too spent way too much of my time (69 - 70's) at the local fish and chip shop playing their pinball machines.

My most favourite was a Williams machines called Klondike.

Could really get into playing at a site such as this :thumbsup:

Cheers
T

Pinball is definitely a skill game as there is no random number generator. Because there is no random number generator, it is LEGALLY considered a skill game.

As for getting a lucky shot, that is another thing.

I think it sounds really interesting, pinball as a skill game.

Pinball game have so many bumpers and switches on the board.You play this game very serious if your mind is not to game then lose the points when you hit with ball the bumpers and switches you get more points.

Well, about your game Pinball, I would like to see how would you make it as a skill game. I would be trying it whenever I have time.

Pinball was before a game of luck, but for sure, since everything around us, evolve, so as the games as well. :)

Well, about your game Pinball, I would like to see how would you make it as a skill game. I would be trying it whenever I have time.

Pinball was before a game of luck, but for sure, since everything around us, evolve, so as the games as well. :)
This thread was started three-and-a-half YEARS ago...
I wouldn't hold your breath for an answer! :p

Does lead to a question though: Grand Virtual have a "Pinball" slot, where you play a simple pinball machine for bonus prizes. But are the prizes based ONLY on your skill/luck - or something else...?

KK

Yeah I have noticed and how dumb am I not to see that this was a very old post. Well, never had played a pinball like that before.

Haha, what a fool am I. :lolup:

This thread was started three-and-a-half YEARS ago...
I wouldn't hold your breath for an answer! :p

Does lead to a question though: Grand Virtual have a "Pinball" slot, where you play a simple pinball machine for bonus prizes. But are the prizes based ONLY on your skill/luck - or something else...?

KK

That is interesting - I always assumed (and from my experience) all the so-called "skill-based" bonus games were predetermined, but gave the player the illusion of effecting the outcome. Can anyone confirm or disprove this?

Back on topic - I wouldn't mind trying my luck gambling with pinball. Lord knows I did it enough as a kid/teenager playing Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter II - I once had a pool going where I could beat some other kid 30 times in a row at Mortal Kombat and walked away with something like $70 (at 13 that was fantastic!). :D

Last edited:
Name: Vinylweatherman Dot Net

Address: None, I am male and normally wear the trousers.

Past Occupations:

Meteorologist,
Pinball Wizard (Won London monthly 6 months in a row after which it closed up shop & my clutch cable "snapped" on the day of month 7), 2nd in "world" championship (Romford Essex I believe - it was ages ago).

Student
Schoolboy and amateur weather forecaster
Small Child - first introduction to slot systems, emptied fruity at holiday camp.
Baby
Sperm

Banned from:-

The Point,
Brighton (except the pier),
Blackpool pleasure beach,
Cole's Funfair
Forton Services (ban expired)
Southwaite services (for "doing" a Payrise TWICE in 1990's) (also expired)
Skill Pinball site (newest ban):p

I can`t believe that out of 1 million plus it picked you :D.

What type of pinball?

Are we talking about the "flippers" type pinball or the no flippers(bingo type).
I used to rack up some bucks playing the non-flipper types until they made
the tilt "sensitivity" very high that any nudge would set it off. think these
non-flipper types were made in Belgium.

I am developing a skill gaming site based around pinball.
The site will include cash reward tournaments and peer to peer play.

I would like to hear opinions on pinball as a game of skill.

Some friends have expressed the thought that pinball is purely a game of luck.

If we are talking about the traditional pinball machines where they are mechanical in nature its purely a game of skill and you need to know a bit of physics ie momentum, friction to play well and understand the mechanics inside to nbot make the machine tilt.. Then you might need to know a bit of maths to be able to guess the match number after the end of a game to be awarded another game. It was real fun and I spent a lot of time in the arcades during my childhood. With the introduction of electronic pinball machines everything seems computerised or like the slots pre-determined so it started to be less fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back