Penguin!

Webzcas

Winter is Coming!
Staff member
Google on the 24th April quickly followed up their latest Panda rollout with their new Webspam Algorithm, which they have called Penguin.

There has as a result been major changes in the serps, with many big sites plummeting like stones and other sites rising to the top.

From what I can tell so far, this looks like Penguin is doing exactly what it said on the tin, as the sites I am seeing dropping have either been over optimised or their linking is at fault. I don't buy the fact that EMD's are being hammered, as I am still seeing EMD's with good content still ruling the roost.

To me, this looks like those sites which have either bought a lot of links or have lots of links whereby the anchor text is written with google in mind and not the end user have been hammered and penalised as a result.

Although viewing several seo forums apparently google have screwed this update up....

Be interested to hear your own thoughts and experiences.

From my perspective, so far this update has been positive, with several of my older sites which I haven't touched for a long time getting a good boost.

Last edited:
It might be because I'm mainly running mobile websites, but since the last couple of updates the results vary every day. One day it's a 10+ increase and another day it's a 10+ decrease. And I'm talking about pages, not positions!

So, I don't know what the heck they are all doing at G, but this way it's quite hard (not to say impossible) to set up and work on a decent strategy!

That's very odd. Daily flux is common butusually ony a few positions at most...not pages! Is this is mobile-specific versions of Google you are seeing this?

Regards Penguin, it's absolutely about over-optmised anchor text.

That's very odd. Daily flux is common butusually ony a few positions at most...not pages! Is this is mobile-specific versions of Google you are seeing this?

I use both RankChecker (Firefox plugin) and the iWebRank app and both show a massive daily flux. Not for all keywords, but some major ones. The flux isn't several pages every day, but I've seen jumps from page 10 to 50 to >100 (and back) within days though. Indeed very odd and maybe is having both mobile pages and web pages (with similar content) on the same domain part of the problem. I really don't know.

Regards Penguin, it's absolutely about over-optmised anchor text.

I've been using the same anchor text in an ongoing seo campaign for quite a while now, and it might be a good idea to change them more often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back