Australia Votes on Same Sex Marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.

petro

Dormant account, per user request
PABaccred
PABnoaccred2
Today I got a letter in the mail asking me to vote on same sex marriage.
It happened recently in the UK and in the US and now it seems like it's Australia's turn.

Here are a few of the arguments I've heard in my country against same sex marriage. I'm sure most people have heard them already:

1. By definition marriage is between a man and a woman, thus same sex couples cannot get married.

2. It will lead to 1 year olds being raped and murdered. After all, that's the next logical step after allowing same sex marriage.

3. This is an interesting one. I found this one on Australia's version of America's TODAY show.
It will lead to children with same sex parents being bullied at school because that's what kids are like.

Why are you posting that?
Is there a question behind it and why only list some reasons against it?:rolleyes:

Wait, Australia still doesn't allow gay marriages? What's taken them so long? I thought Australia was a rather civilized and progressive country.:what:

... Here are a few of the arguments I've heard in my country against same sex marriage. ...

Twaddle like those "reasons" can degenerate into hate crimes in a heartbeat.

I'm suspending further posting on this until Bryan has seen it and makes his call.

"By definition marriage is between a man and a woman..."

Then change your definition. Marriage is between people, whether or not they are of the same sex is irrelevant. Marriage is a legal binding contract that is recognized but the government so the partners can exercise certain rights. So it's equal rights then - that's it.

To bring in the religious hokum (that many people do) is also irreverent. A church wedding has no relevancy unless you go down to the city hall and get a marriage license (in most progressive countries that is).

I am leaving this thread closed since we have many gay members here (some of whom are married), and would find your comparison of baby rape appalling and ban-worthy. You should think before you post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back