Brexit doesn't Necessarily Mean Brexit

Webzcas

Winter is Coming!
Staff member
Apparently according to the High Court, the TM is unable to invoke Article 50 on her own. It has to go to a vote in the Commons. The UK Govt are appealing and this will be heard in the Supreme Court. Question I have is then why have a Referendum then, if the result can be ignored by MP's?

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

It's all a load of old crap in my opinion. Were wasting loads of time and money focusing on it and it seems more and more like it will eventually be overturned or we shall exist in a kind of part in, part out status.

It would be political suicide for any MP to block this. We had a democratic vote and the leave vote won.

If the people cant decide then its not a democracy at all.

These people who are pursuing this through the courts are plain and simply idiots. I was a brexiter but if the bremain had have won I would have took it on the chin.

Democracy is not letting 340 odd Mps decide the fate of our country, they have to go with the majority.

Ahh what a world we live in. Up is down, left is right, I suppose the Remoaners have been 'triggered' and have now crawled out of their safe space in the hope of overtrurning a democratic decision.

Why not just abolish Democracy altogether then and go with Social Media followers or Likes instead, or really go for it with a full-blown Despotism so as to avoid these situations in the future :(

Although common sense prevailing, I'm sure Theresa May said there'd be no re-vote. Be interesting to see if she stands firm on this, because I'm sure Camoron would have caved in by now!

The MP votes will be a formality I believe.

So does this apply to any referendum? And if it does, what is the point of having them then?

Trust the politicians to complicate an issue.

The uncertainty engendered in this sort of hair-splitting and attempted back-tracking is not good for business confidence or the poor battered old pound.

It would be political suicide for any MP to block this. We had a democratic vote and the leave vote won.

If the people cant decide then its not a democracy at all.

These people who are pursuing this through the courts are plain and simply idiots. I was a brexiter but if the bremain had have won I would have took it on the chin.

Democracy is not letting 340 odd Mps decide the fate of our country, they have to go with the majority.

They are screwed whatever they do, time to grab the popcorn:p

If they vote to invoke article 50, they are representing the will of the majority as expressed in the referendum, but they are also committing "political suicide" by not voting for what they believe is best for the country, which as we already know from the campaign, is to remain.

If they vote to pull back from the brink, we will be in a strong negotiating position with the rest of the EU who face the prospect of other countries leaving now that Britain has been the first to dare show defiance to Brussels. However, this is also political suicide because they have held a referendum, and then ignored the result because we didn't vote for the correct outcome.

If a party leader tells it's MPs they must vote "for the party line", they are committing political suicide and could end up on the back benches, or "spending more time with the family" like Cameron.

Party leaders will be best making it a "free vote", so that each MP is held responsible for their own vote, but here too it's not really "free" as they have to be seen to represent the view of their constituents, who may want rid of their local MP if they cast the wrong vote over article 50.

Hardly surprising the government don't want to be in this position, so are appealing the ruling. Unfortunately, this will hold up the Brexit process and prolong the period of uncertainty.

Its just an establishment stitch up that will only end up stalling an inevitable exit. Corbyn has stated that he will not appose a vote for brexit in the commons so I suspect that the lords will be the biggest hurdle. The british voters will not put up with being ignored. There would be chaos around the country if the commons blocks leaving IMO

The spirit of the referendum was that the people to give their assent the government to enact their wishes. sign Article 50 and fuck-off out of the E-USSR. Now we have a few senile judges and a 'remainer' having a tantrum as they didn't get their way in the referendum.

IF Parliament voted not to sign it then effectively I will consider rule in the UK to be void, and won't recognize the powers of the government thereafter, then we should march to Westminster and perform citizen's arrests on the MP's and Lords as they have voided our democratic system and made their own positions superfluous and invalid by refusing to enact the democratic wishes of the electorate. We will therefore be living under rule by decree and as citizens should use force to remove the wasters - not far away lies the Tower Of London, where traitors are traditionally imprisoned before being executed. The ravens will have a lot of eyes to eat....:(

When do poiliticians ever care what people vote for.

In Scotland we rightly voted to remain in UK. Ever since the vote theres not been a day past where Sturgeon( how i hate that woman) is not on the tv up here or in the papers going on about holding another referendum.

Britain voted to leave EU tho i think its a mistake but i cant see it getting stopped from happening. Vote said leave so it has to be.

Someone ought to shut Sturgeon up tho as shes seriously doing my head in every time i watch tv. Shes on TV up here more than bloody Ant and Dec.

In Scotland we rightly voted to remain in UK. Ever since the vote theres not been a day past where Sturgeon( how i hate that woman) is not on the tv up here or in the papers going on about holding another referendum.

Britain voted to leave EU tho i think its a mistake but i cant see it getting stopped from happening. Vote said leave so it has to be.

Someone ought to shut Sturgeon up tho as shes seriously doing my head in every time i watch tv. Shes on TV up here more than bloody Ant and Dec.

If Sturgeon's bluff was called and Scotland where given independence she would shit herself because she would know it would ruin Scotland alongside her political career.

Jeez there's the triumvirate of terror - imagine being stuck in a lift with all 3 of the unintelligible twats! Which would you kill first? :what:

It would be political suicide for any MP to block this. We had a democratic vote and the leave vote won. If the people cant decide then its not a democracy at all.
These people who are pursuing this through the courts are plain and simply idiots. I was a brexiter but if the bremain had have won I would have took it on the chin. Democracy is not letting 340 odd Mps decide the fate of our country, they have to go with the majority.

I need to agree with the above....

If parliament can ignore or gainsay a properly regulated national referendum (or insist on a do-over on an initiative of such gravitas) where does it stop?

General elections?

Regardless of personal views on brexit, the majority implicitly acquiesced to the exercise in democracy and have made their wishes known, and that should be respected.

If parliament can ignore or gainsay a properly regulated national referendum (or insist on a do-over on an initiative of such gravitas) where does it stop?

General elections?

Regardless of personal views on brexit, the majority implicitly acquiesced to the exercise in democracy and have made their wishes known, and that should be respected.

"Gainsay" is a nice new word for me to have learned :thumbsup:

The referendum result is generally apposed by those who perceive that they have more to lose by its implication. Establishment figures who feel they may lose out from the gravy train that it is.
We have the Scots who claim being tied to the UK is undemocratic yet are fighting to stay in the EU which will mean they will be dictated too largely by 27 nations. Its a bit like gaining your independence from your parents by moving in to prison. Or it would be if it where not the fact that Scotland would be one of the nations who would net gain by staying in the EU. Or it would if it was not the fact that the EU would reject Scotland's application to join the EU because they would be in a far worse financial mess than Greece.

It will be interesting to watch how this plays out over the coming months and how various politicians react. I predict that if the vote is ignored or watered down then by spring/summer next year there will be huge civil unrest in the UK

I see there are now some calls for an urgent general election...I can't see the PM buying that so soon after the last one and the brexit referendum.

Yes!! Let's have a General Election but move it to coincide with the US one! :eek:

What an exciting, popcorn-filled day that would be....

Would we have a Trump/ May combo?

Or maybe Clinton/ Corbyn? :eek::eek:

Or will Bojo emerge from the shadows to lead the country? Find out next week! (maybe)

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back