The Day Has arrived for The UK

I arrived in the UK about a year ago. I think most people who are interested know that I love it here.

It's chilling to think that as of tomorrow my right to be here may well be in question, quite possibly the first day of a long slow march towards expulsion.

One hears of such things of course but it's always other people that it's happening to. Then, suddenly, it's your life that is build on quicksand.

Strange days!

Cant see it to be honest Harry.

Feelings are running high around here after last weeks Tradegy.

I think the not decided will sway over to remain.

Was only about 2 miles away from where i live.

RIP Jo Cox

I'm not sure what the actions of one nutter have to do with this. OK, I'm for out. Most people I know are. If rumours are correct from those handling the postal votes made early there is a lead for the Brexit. I predict a very close one, say 52-48 to REMAIN unfortunately. Cowardice and fear of change will be decisive.

OK say we have a cul-de-sac of 28 houses (for the 28 E-USSR states) They are all detached. All independent. Bertrand the Belgian invites us all to a barbecue. He says:

"Guys, I have an idea! As we are mostly friendly, why don't we become one big happy family? We all leave our front doors open, and tear down our walls and fences. John Smith and Hans Schmidt, you two have the biggest houses and earn most money. Poor old Petr the Pole earns a third a third of your household income. If you guys chuck him some of your money, he can make it nice like yours!"

John Smith: "What the f*ck?"

Betrand: "No, listen, once you've given them all some money, they will become wealthier and might buy your goods from you!"

John Smith: "Might buy - he doesn't have to? So, I give those houses some of my own money, so they MAY buy my goods with my f*cking money! Plus if he chooses he can walk through my front door and take up one of my rooms? Piss-off Bertrand."

Hans Schmidt: "How cool Bertrand. You see, ahemm...a few decades ago we were a bit naughty and smashed-up Francois' house, Petr's house, Ruud's house, Bertrand's House, Pavel's house and a little bit of John Smith's. OK, it meant ours got totally demolished and had to be rebuilt but it is the best one in the close now. Brand new! What better way to assuage my guilt - sort of late reparations. Plus I can get you all to spend bucks with my name behind them. Right on!"

Bertrand: "That's really cool Hans, brilliant! The rest of you, I can see you all smiling"

John Smith: "So get this straight. I open my doors. I let you walk in. I pay for the privilege. You lot get to make the rules in my fucking house. You give me back half what I pay in but with the stipulation it must be spent on what you tell me. I end up poorer, with god-knows who sleeping in the room next to my kids. When my house is full I have to pay to extend it. And then you'll tell me I'm 'richer' because my house is bigger and more income is coming in? Bertrand, I built your poxy little house back in the 1800's when Francois tried to take it from you on his way to Russia."

Hans: "Come now, don't be like that. Things have changed now. We are at peace. Plus if you get short of labour we'll give millions of highly-educated and law-abiding Arabs. Afghans and Africans residency and send them over to you later. You can't lose!"

John Smith; "Bertrand, Hans and the rest of you mugs. Hans, I like your cars. Betrand, I like your chocolate. Francois, I like your wine and cheese. Juan, I like holidaying in your house. I also like buying stuff from Sam over the sea, and Wo Lok in China. You see I'm free to do all this already. I have money, and the natural will to trade and profit and buy and sell is omnipresent worldwide. I don't need to be pay to be in a club. I don't need layers of rules or restrictions. I don't need your kids to do the work my kids can do. I have enough weapons in the cellar to wipe you and most of the world out, so I don't feel unsafe without you guys. So without using two English words you'll all understand, I'll decline this crazy offer. Evening gents..."

You see, if this E-USSR nonsense had been implemented in one go and not crept uP on us, would we as a people have ever allowed it? NO - IT'S MADNESS!!!

Cowardice and fear of change will be decisive.

Spoken like a true Brexiter there Duno. Sure it wasn't "Britain First!" you were really trying to say?

Ooot ooot ooot.

I was the only voter in the polling station besides the officials.

Well if the Brexit total vote is less than 2 it's being fiddled. I've just done the same so that's 2.:thumbsup:

Of course when the dust settles, we'll still be in the EU. Let's face it, it's going to happen. It may well be a close-run thing but the result is in no doubt really.

We've been given the opportunity of a decade (generation?) to get out, but of course it's going to go to waste, and in the following weeks/ months we'll resort to what we do best: moaning about how we're being dictated to by Brussels bureaucrats and why we're being forced to buy straight bananas.

From my observations I'd garner that the older generation and working- class down to good old precariat demographic want out.

Business leaders and the sub-25 year olds are definitely leaning heavily towards remain. Bloody traitors! (joke)

Of course when the dust settles, we'll still be in the EU. Let's face it, it's going to happen.

I wish I was as confident of that as you seem to be. Frankly I'm shaking like a leaf at the prospect of Leave prevailing, for a shed-load of reasons.

At the very least, as previously mentioned, my life would be in real danger of being turned upside down by that kind of result. I'm afraid I can't be glib about that scenario. Frankly I don't give a toss about straight bananas or bent, I care about being able to live in the country where we have every reasonable right to be (wife's UK passport and all).

I wish I was as confident of that as you seem to be. Frankly I'm shaking like a leaf at the prospect of Leave prevailing, for a shed-load of reasons.

At the very least, as previously mentioned, my life would be in real danger of being turned upside down by that kind of result. I'm afraid I can't be glib about that scenario. Frankly I don't give a toss about straight bananas or bent, I care about being able to live in the country where we have every reasonable right to be (wife's UK passport and all).

The latest polls are 44% each with 12% undecided. Now the bookies have REMAIN 1/10 on to win. So Max should be happy. Mind you they had hung parliament at 1/12-1/20 on before the last election and Scamoron won outright. Now polls tend to be inaccurate because the media stigmatizes the OUT supporters as 'racists' 'xenophobes' and whichever other insult they choose which is typical of all dictatorships that retain power by ridiculing and marginalizing opposition. Then those people often say the opposite or claim indecision.

Max, IF we vote out nothing happens for 2 years anyway. After that no action will be taken retrospectively against those whom have already settled here. Hell, you can kill a policeman, then go stand on a street corner screaming 'Jews and Christians burn in hell!' and we can't even throw you out due to your 'uman rights' or because you have a pet cat which has a 'right to family life'. So you have nowt to worry about. As far as I am concerned ay useful person like yourself is welcome to stay. All I want is to severely limit the numbers in future to stop overcrowding the country and make sure those that do come are genuinely required and carefully vetted first.:thumbsup:

As you are Canadian, you are already in a precarious position. The leave camp claim that those who come from non-EU countries with the appropriate skills will find it easier to come and work in the UK because there will no longer be the pro EU citizen bias due to the free movement principle. There is already more than one Canadian family facing deportation from Scotland for not contributing enough. One runs a café and tourist attraction, plus local shop, but because they can only afford to employ one local full time instead of two, they are being deported. This is happening already, whilst we are in the EU.

The problem is that both camps make the erroneous claim that the "only solution" is to cut back on the numbers. This is BS, an alternative solution is of course to use the net contribution migrants make to our tax receipts to stimulate house building, and invest in infrastructure and public services. Although the leave camp claim the lack of control means the numbers cannot be predicted, the past few years of stats can give a pretty good idea of the amount of additional provision needed, and where.

If we remain, and the EU unelected bureaucrats still keep their heads buried firmly in the sand and the Euro collapses, and the Eurozone economy takes a dive. Guess who will have the only other EU currency that stands a chance of stepping in to fill the void. If Juncker screws up, he can face an EU run largely by the UK (as we will control the currency) and using the GBP as it's single currency. If we leave, and the EU does manage to turn things around and reform, we will miss the party, having paid for much of it.

Despite all these claims that we can't trade with big economic powers like China because the EU has dragged it's feet in negotiating a trade deal, I am struggling to find an electronic gadget in my house that has NOT been made or assembled in China. The solar panels on my roof are American.

As you are Canadian, you are already in a precarious position. The leave camp claim that those who come from non-EU countries with the appropriate skills will find it easier to come and work in the UK because there will no longer be the pro EU citizen bias due to the free movement principle. There is already more than one Canadian family facing deportation from Scotland for not contributing enough. One runs a café and tourist attraction, plus local shop, but because they can only afford to employ one local full time instead of two, they are being deported. This is happening already, whilst we are in the EU.

The problem is that both camps make the erroneous claim that the "only solution" is to cut back on the numbers. This is BS, an alternative solution is of course to use the net contribution migrants make to our tax receipts to stimulate house building, and invest in infrastructure and public services. Although the leave camp claim the lack of control means the numbers cannot be predicted, the past few years of stats can give a pretty good idea of the amount of additional provision needed, and where.

If we remain, and the EU unelected bureaucrats still keep their heads buried firmly in the sand and the Euro collapses, and the Eurozone economy takes a dive. Guess who will have the only other EU currency that stands a chance of stepping in to fill the void. If Juncker screws up, he can face an EU run largely by the UK (as we will control the currency) and using the GBP as it's single currency. If we leave, and the EU does manage to turn things around and reform, we will miss the party, having paid for much of it.

Despite all these claims that we can't trade with big economic powers like China because the EU has dragged it's feet in negotiating a trade deal, I am struggling to find an electronic gadget in my house that has NOT been made or assembled in China. The solar panels on my roof are American.

Cheer him up, why don't you? :rolleyes:

Cheer him up, why don't you? :rolleyes:

He knows already, but worries that the UK leaving the EU could make things even worse. However this would mean that the leave camp have been lying all along because they say that leaving the EU will make life easier for non EU citizens who want to come to the UK to live and work. The immigration debate has largely been about numbers, and in order to appear to be controlling numbers, the current policy has been to go after the easy targets like a sick widow being cared for by family, or a hard working Canadian couple who have helped regenerate the highlands of Scotland. Targets that can fight back, like a one legged Albanian wanted back home for murder, simply cannot be deported, even though he isn't contributing, and Albania is currently not in the EU. Whether we leave or stay, these situations are down to UK government policy, and have nothing to do with the free movement of labour that the leave camp claim is the cause of the migration problem.

Last night William Hill had remain as odds on favourite, the same as it's been for weeks, and other bookies who do "novelty markets" have been offering similar odds on prices.

Through all the months, since the referendum was set, I never lost the impression that this is all a massive political "farce" to give voters the feeling they have a "say" in the bigger picture.

IIRC, initially Cameron promised the referendum to please some other political parts of the government and after all this is over, he will be able to say that he kept his word and peopled voted to stay, so now "sush, shut up and return to your corner".

Sorry to say this but you guys thinking that you will have a real chance of making your own decisions, whether you stay in or leave the EU, is at best laughable.

Last edited:
I cant believe I am still sitting here so unsure of what way to vote, I was all for out but now I really dont know, I predict I will still be sitting here at 9.30pm before I make a decision!!

I cant believe I am still sitting here so unsure of what way to vote, I was all for out but now I really dont know, I predict I will still be sitting here at 9.30pm before I make a decision!!

OK, would you rather have 100% say in your own house you live in, or 1/28th of the say in your house and another 27 you don't live in?

That's how simple it really is.

It seems rather like the Scottish independence vote a while ago. Cameron was trying to scare the Scots into voting for the union with threats to build a border wall and demand passports, telling the Scots that they would no longer be allowed to use the Pound, and some businesses were threatening to move their HQs to England.

This campaign also had a border threat, this time to build a border wall between NI and Eire if we voted to leave. We also had the threat that businesses would move their HQs and factories to the continent, the pound would plummet and cause "mega-austerity" - we even had the threat of a "punishment budget" if we had the nerve to defy Cameron and vote to leave. If that wasn't bad enough, we were threatened with Boris as PM:eek2:

Of course, it wouldn't be a disaster for everyone, Farage came out with a classic; "leaving the EU would be better for black people" in reply to a black woman in the audience. Her face said "did he really just say that, or am I hallucinating". I couldn't quite believe it either - does he really think that ONLY black people live in countries outside of the EU?

Through all the months, since the referendum was set, I never lost the impression that this is all a massive political "farce" to give voters the feeling they have a "say" in the bigger picture.

IIRC, initially Cameron promised the referendum to please some other political parts of the government and after all this is over, he will be able to say that he kept his word and peopled voted to stay, so now "sush, shut up and return to your corner".

Sorry to say this but you guys thinking that you will have a real chance of making your own decisions, whether you stay in or leave the EU, is at best laughable.

Sorry I think its laughable that a few think there is a troll in the ballot box changing votes to remain and that somehow we are incapable of having a true democratic vote, Its just ordinary people who count these votes unless of course you are suggesting they are part of a system that has set out to cause mass illusion for the general public meaning we are somehow getting what we wanted i.e our vote but the vote is already decided before we put our cross in the box.

OK, would you rather have 100% say in your own house you live in, or 1/28th of the say in your house and another 27 you don't live in?

That's how simple it really is.

Is it really that simple though, my thoughts are turning to workers rights that the EU have given us, TBH Dunover I dont trust this government at all to do whats best for its citizens, I feel they have to be accountable to something

Sorry I think its laughable that a few think there is a troll in the ballot box changing votes to remain and that somehow we are incapable of having a true democratic vote, Its just ordinary people who count these votes unless of course you are suggesting they are part of a system that has set out to cause mass illusion for the general public meaning we are somehow getting what we wanted i.e our vote but the vote is already decided before we put our cross in the box.

Do you really believe that Cameron went blindly for the referendum???

I would bet my last shirt that, among other things, extensive polls were done on the quiet to find out what the chances are that the "Brexit" campaign could win this vote.

To the normal person it looks like they have a say in this, whereas it is with near 100% certainty that they don't.

I stand to be corrected and will eat my words if you will leave the EU.

I do a lot of work for the EU and I know how many jobs rely on us being IN.

I can't think of one single reason to leave. Unemployment is low - we need immigrants for the carers, agriculture and other work that UK citizens seem to chose not to do. People can no longer come here on benefit holidays.

There is ZERO chance of Turkey joining the EU anytime soon - and it's just rubbish to suggest otherwise. Again, I know this through my work.

Leaving the EU will cost jobs, reduce investment and achieve absolutely nothing positive that I can see. I'm glad that I'm not voting on the same side as Farage, the BNP, the EDL, Britain first etc who are all voting to leave. That's not to suggest that all leavers are racist - of course they are not - but all racists are leavers, that is clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back