Help the clueless Idiot please???

Hi all, really need some advice (which I hope doesn't lead to bad news or having to spend loads of dosh I ain't got lol)

PC has been playing up a bit recently (the new one you guys helped me put together etc)
Taking longer than the usual few seconds to kick in and although the tower appears on it seems to take over the monitor/screen and power it off altogether.

This then goes onto eventually the monitor power on light starts to flash rapidly and after a few minutes comes on and I can use the PC fully.

I put up with this as it was nowt major but today there seems a whole host of problems which I haven't a clue about, please help if you can (in idiot terms if possible as I pretty clueless with the technical side of things)

*) When first switched on it totally 'misses' the very first screen it used to display (maybe unrelated but seems too much of a coincidence?)

*) The anti-virus (bit defender free) suddenly said it was no longer working (doesn't load correctly during start up) - I fixed this by uninstalling/reinstalling but had to create a totally new log in as it wouldn't recognise my original/existing one.

*) Programs such as drop box were loaded during start up, now these won't load up or even run from the desktop icon

*) Existing Excel spreadsheets (my work, records etc) which I've used for years no longer work or open.

*) Control panel will not allow me to uninstall programs (since the anti virus) tried several times.

*) 32 Red download client took 7 attempts to open, allowed me to play one game, went to change game and none will load up. Restarts galore have not fixed this.

I'll upload a short video which may or may not help (if PC will allow it, not tried yet)

Very confusing as never come across anything like this and seems a very 'weird' problem(s)

Thanks so much for your help in advance :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say it's a Win update - I had a major one which turned Defender back on (Norton disables it usually) so it wouldn't even let me look at eBay flash images (suspicious!) and messed all sorts of things up. IF you are Win 10 this would've happened at night. You need to do a 'system restore' most recent point before the major update on Tues/Weds this week.

All important files should be backed up immediately unless this has already been done. The spreadsheets may be OK, the problem is probably the software has become corrupt.

The 32Red client playing up is perfectly normal, probably nothing to do with what's gone wrong:p

If all else fails, the final option is a complete reinstall of the OS, but of course this means that the drive will be wiped, so all files not backed up on DVDs or Flash Drives will be lost. I have had to undertake this final option on my primary gambling PC and my old Windows XP machine. It takes a while, but does at least give you a fresh start, although if the software itself is buggy, it will still be buggy after going through all of this (Viper clients for example).

If it's a hardware problem (which is also a possibility), this is rather more technical - not so much fixing it (assuming you put it together in the first place), but identifying which item needs to be replaced.

We are pretty perfect using our modern gadgets but mostly totally lost when they decide to go on strike. :rolleyes: :confused:

I wouldn't do anything drastic mate. Microsoft ran another update last night, install that and see if it gets rid of the problem.

If not, take the PC down to the guy, who build it for you, to have a look or maybe he can recommend somebody. Just imagine you start messing around with the OS and run then into another issue, you'd be totally clueless.

Trust me, i am not an 'iota' better with these things but luckily got friends who know a friend who knows a friend who knows what to do. So i am always going to them when i hit some issues with these gadgets. :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back