connect pc hdd to laptop

syntynyt

kuollut
since this section proved to be useful with recent threads with enough techs around, i need help.
i have this laptop
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

and i need to connect an western digital caviar(250gb Malaysia) and a second one - caviar green(1Tb Thailand), both used in a pc few years ago.
i asked google and all i found was old threads and a multiple adapters for every need. i have no idea what adapter to choose. i want to transfer the data in laptop and then sell them for whatever cents value have these days. please give me multiple links for adapters that work in my case for sure and from what is posted i search locally.

to mention, i tried this:

the led on the device turned on but nothing showed on laptop. not enough power from laptop usb.

Looks like you were on the right track but chances are your USB ports on the laptop aren't providing enough power to spin up the drives.

I've done this shit many times and would recommend something like this:

That unit is USB 3 but it should be no problem with your USB 2 ports. Of course we're assuming that both of your drives are SATA which is almost certainly the case.

Anker is a decent brand and I've had no problem with their gear. Nothing special but usually gets the job done.

The point here is that there is a power adapter that plugs into your SATA plug in order to provide juice to the drives: the USB connection is then just a data pipe into the PC.

Any other equivalent SATA + power unit should function similarly.

thanks. i found this

the only adapter with socket plug to guarantee the necessary power. the only type in ~4 mil ads :eek2:
but for windows support only Win98SE, 2000, ME, XP. what do you think, can run with compatibility option? i run windows 7.

Not sure why windo$ compatibility should have anything to do with it, it's just a hardware thing and should work on any PC system.

Also not sure what's going on with all the plugs, etc. There should just be a simple little adapter from wall to SATA plug, like the thing I linked to.

As to the rest of it I can't comment, I don't read whatever language that is.

Not sure why windo$ compatibility should have anything to do with it, it's just a hardware thing and should work on any PC system.

Also not sure what's going on with all the plugs, etc. There should just be a simple little adapter from wall to SATA plug, like the thing I linked to.

As to the rest of it I can't comment, I don't read whatever language that is.

i tried different keywords to find something like you pointed but that is really all i found with a socket plug - the one you recommended having too, or energy supply cable to wall, don't know the correct english term. in fact i found only 4 adapters and the other three are powerless related but only usb to hdd.
sorry, i didn't translated anything because is what it is in the photo, thought is average looking.
supports hot swap whatever that means
supports any SATA and IDE, cd-rom dvd-rw etc

box contain: adapter usb SATA/IDE, energy supply cable for HDD, energy supply socket plug (AC 100~240V) 2.A
its only 10e with drop to local post, which is so cheap that i wonder if actually works :D should i go for this one or keep looking on terrain for something better, looking like your link device.

... should i go for this one or keep looking ...

I can't decide that for you, it's your call. From what you say it sounds good but I'm only guessing.

ok sir thanks for help! ill buy it and if doesnt work is not much of a loss. at least i have an idea what i will further need to look for.

answers

a laptop can not power a desktop drive via usb not enough power you need to get a powered caddy for desktop size drives you can link laptop ones and ssd drives without the need for a powered caddy .

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back