Suggestion forum search

Playforfun

Hi there and thanks for your great work :)

In the past the search function in the forum was much more useful for me.

Nowadays it is a google search something. And it usually bring on top some old and mostly irrelevant posts.
I can hardly find use of the search function anymore.

Is there a way to get the old forum search?
or a way to sort results by date?

thanks a lot

Nowadays it is a google search something. And it usually bring on top some old and mostly irrelevant posts.

thanks a lot

Hi yes you click "advanced search" just underneath the google search bar :thumbsup:

thanks a lot

This is probably why we see the occasional resurrection of a years old thread regarding a very similar issue. People obviously expect the most relevant results from a search to be on the first page, standard Google rules. Having accepted Google's decision that this is the most relevant thread, I expect people don't bother checking the date of the last post, but just read the content and post their own addition.

If it wasn't for the use of a search aid, these years old threads would be very hard to dig up as they get buried deeper the longer the interval between now and the last post.

In addition, we are urged NOT to start a new thread about an issue if one already exists, so forum rules are pushing people towards using the search prior to posting about a subject that they think likely to already have a thread. In addition, old threads remain open to addition for ever, there is no automatic system of upgrading a dormant thread to "closed" after a set period of no additional posts. I believe the forum software does not offer such a function, and it would therefore be an onerous manual task to go through each thread and manually update the old ones to "closed".

If results were sorted by date as default, it might mitigate against the problem of very old threads getting resurrected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back