Buh-bye Saturday morning cartoons

BETAT

Dormant account

Saturday morning cartoons are officially off the air

Sure, it gets the kids out of the house, which is a good thing (though really, they're probably just on the computer or watching live action tv) - but still, for those who grew up watching cartoons, can you imagine not having had them Saturday mornings?

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is just terrible!

Our daughter has trouble finding cartoons on Saturday mornings now, for her 4 year old.

Kinda like this:

Back when these cartoons were made, I am sure absolutely nothing was construed to be offensive on purpose!

Give me a break! Why is it that everyone has to analyze every fricking thing for hate/racism?

That is just terrible!

Our daughter has trouble finding cartoons on Saturday mornings now, for her 4 year old.

Kinda like this:

Back when these cartoons were made, I am sure absolutely nothing was construed to be offensive on purpose!

Give me a break! Why is it that everyone has to analyze every fricking thing for hate/racism?

Because there are too many lawyers looking to make a buck.

What's crazy is that they're going back in time to find things to be offended about, and yet some of the new music videos, cartoons and even advertising are WAY worse than anything from the old days.

Speaking of that, I accidentally stumbled across a blog a few weeks ago for a white supremacist group that has been online for YEARS - it was one of the most disgusting things I'd ever seen. But guess what, it's 'free speech' go figure. Let's go after cartoons and classic literature instead. :rolleyes:

We have had all that here too. Enid Blyton's children's books like Noddy and Big Ears. 'Big Ears' itself is now considered defamatory, but in the 1930's when she wrote them, the 'Golliwogs' were the bad guys. In one book (amazingly prophetic) the golliwogs 'carjacked' Noddy and Big Ears in the woods. When my daughter had them a few years back, the golliwogs had been removed and replaced with two bad pixie-type of characters.
The BBC each Christmas edit the 1987 'Fairy Tale of NY' song by Kirsty McColl and the Pogues by removing the word 'faggot' when she insults him in the song "You scumbag you maggot, you cheap lousy *gap*"

It's an end of an era. Back in the days when there were no VCRs and there were only three major network channels, Saturday morning cartoons were sacred. You had to watch what was on - there was no real choice. And you paid attention since there was no pause, no rewind buttons - hell, there were no remotes.

Does anyone here remember when JFK was shot, and they had a moratorium on Saturday morning cartoons? I remember when they came back on after a couple of weeks. The first thing I saw was a cartoon commercial about a tube of toothpaste. Boy was I happy :p

And in '66 we got our first color TV. It was like being blind and seeing for he first time. :D

It's sad that kids these days will never know what it was like - they will never experience what Saturday morning was really meant to be; just for kids - and nothing at all educational - just pure mindless bliss.

Well we have Sky here in Ireland and we have like 40 different cartoon channels... :D
Cartoons available every day of the week ranging from Looney Tunes,Tom & Jerry,Scooby Doo,Spongebob Squarepants to Doc McStuffins and Peppa Pig.... :eek::)

I am just so sick and tired of all this PC Bull Shit , like Bryan said , we did not have a lot of channels on TV growing up during our era and when something good came on as a kid you savored it . The weekends were time to watch cartoons , play outside with friends , riding bikes ect.

Our parents and neighbors looked out for each others children and we all knew when it was time to come in and call it a day. These young parents who are raising their kids on computers and I phone games are really doing their children a dis service imo , let those little rug rats have fun outside , learn to get a bit of dirt on them , watch those old cartoons , get them interested in some of the passions that made you happy as a child , you survived and so will they.

I love Tom and Jerry and Road Runner , still laugh when I see something with Acme Company on it!

Laurie

I am just so sick and tired of all this PC Bull Shit , like Bryan said , we did not have a lot of channels on TV growing up during our era and when something good came on as a kid you savored it . The weekends were time to watch cartoons , play outside with friends , riding bikes ect.

Our parents and neighbors looked out for each others children and we all knew when it was time to come in and call it a day. These young parents who are raising their kids on computers and I phone games are really doing their children a dis service imo , let those little rug rats have fun outside , learn to get a bit of dirt on them , watch those old cartoons , get them interested in some of the passions that made you happy as a child , you survived and so will they.

I love Tom and Jerry and Road Runner , still laugh when I see something with Acme Company on it!

Laurie

The PC brigade has gone too far. We are now seeing cases of parents getting JAILED for not sufficiently wrapping up their kids in cotton wool. A US woman was jailed for letting her 9 year old daughter go to the park to play with their friends whilst she did a shift in McDonalds. The charge was "neglect", and must have been quite serious for a jail term to have been imposed. What she did whilst her kid was playing out should be irrelevant, she could just as easily have spent the afternoon at home in front of the telly, catching up on the cleaning, etc whilst her kid spent a few hours down the park.

When I was nine, almost ALL the local kids would play out for much of the day. We had each other, and there were the parents of friends around. I also had grandparents living not far from home, and they were an alternative refuge if my parents were out working.

By jailing this woman, it sends the message that it's no longer simply a matter of convincing parents that they are doing their kids a dis service by keeping them locked up at home, now the law REQUIRES that you do this to some extent, yet there are no clear guidelines as to where the line is drawn between allowing your kids out to play, and facing jail for neglect.

Even here we are seeing so many alerts about a "suspicious person" walking in the vicinity of a school. The problem is that it gives the impression that there are so many predators out there given the almost daily alerts from one school or another that you might as well keep your kids on a lead at all times, and never let them out for a second on their own. For the less paranoid, so many alerts makes it hard to separate the true danger from the hype, and like the boy who cried wolf, the "wolf" will be lurking, and will be one of these many false positive "suspicious persons", and your kid is gone.

Are we REALLY in a world where the majority of people have some ill intent towards unguarded children, justifying the "suspicious unless proven otherwise" stance being taken by those in a position of power?

Perhaps the underlying problem is a pursuit of a zero risk lifestyle, which not only eliminates risk, but sucks all pleasure out of life as a side effect.

It's not true zero risk either, because whilst we have rampant health & safety and kids locked away as much as possible, we face greater than ever health risks from this cosseted lifestyle. Obesity is an epidemic, and can be just as deadly as being killed on the roads, or being the unlucky murder victim. Many kids live their whole lives via a computer screen, locked safely away in their homes, well away from perverts and the traffic, but they often get obese, unfit, and as a result have a reduced life expectation and suffer more in the way of ill health in adulthood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back