Laptop Advice

Nicola

Closed Account
Laptop is slowly dying to the point where even playing the new updated version of Starburst is causing it to stall!

Found two laptops, exactly same price but was wondering which was best in terms of core / processor (HDD not really an issue).

Laptop 1

•Intel Pentium 3825u dual core processor
•1.9GHz processor speed
•4GB RAM
•1TB SATA hard drive

Laptop 2

•Intel Pentium N3700 quad core processor
•1.6GHz processor speed
•8GB RAM
•2TB SATA hard drive

Laptop 2 --> 100% if HDD is not an issue.

Any additional GB of RAM is good to have. 4GB is pretty much too small already for some present applications.

What graphics card do they have? Don't take onboard ones.

Laptop is slowly dying to the point where even playing the new updated version of Starburst is causing it to stall!

Found two laptops, exactly same price but was wondering which was best in terms of core / processor (HDD not really an issue).

Laptop 1

•Intel Pentium 3825u dual core processor
•1.9GHz processor speed
•4GB RAM
•1TB SATA hard drive

Laptop 2

•Intel Pentium N3700 quad core processor
•1.6GHz processor speed
•8GB RAM
•2TB SATA hard drive

Neither. Get a SSD. You can get a decent laptop with SSD for 7-800 quid now. I'll never go back to HDD it's like chucking my DVD's out and buying a VHS recorder.
Both those processors are adequate for slotting, but it's the graphics card that assists slotting. 99% of crap slow spin sessions are down to the server not your equipment.
I'd suggest those are cheapos you've listed - I got my daughter a 1TB HDD touchscreen laptop by HP with the 1.9ghz processor in a sale for £279.99 recently.
Don't tight, spend the money - I've always said if you can afford slots you can afford a decent computer. :thumbsup:

Neither. Get a SSD. You can get a decent laptop with SSD for 7-800 quid now. I'll never go back to HDD it's like chucking my DVD's out and buying a VHS recorder.
Both those processors are adequate for slotting, but it's the graphics card that assists slotting. 99% of crap slow spin sessions are down to the server not your equipment.
I'd suggest those are cheapos you've listed - I got my daughter a 1TB HDD touchscreen laptop by HP with the 1.9ghz processor in a sale for £279.99 recently.
Don't tight, spend the money - I've always said if you can afford slots you can afford a decent computer. :thumbsup:

Fully agree with you Dunover.

I never save on these kind of things, especially when I use them every day. Spent over 1500GBP on my laptop 3 years ago just to switch to SSD as they weren't that mainstream yet. But i never looked back although ROM is only 256GB it is sufficient for me, still got 100GB left today.

Just as important is the graphics card, learned my lesson from my previous laptop and made sure my current one has a decent card build in.

Good luck with your endeavor Nicola, it took me 1 week to find some suitable ones and to make a decision when i bought the last one 3 years ago.

I am currently starting to look around to replace mine within the next 2 months and my specification will be:

- Intel Core I7 processor, lowest i would take would be a good I5
- 8 or 16 GB RAM
- 512GB SSD, alternatively a hybrid 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD if high storage is a must for you
- minimum Intel HD 5xxx or even better a Nvidia GeForce graphics card
- minimum 2, better 3 USB 3.0 or 3.1, at least one should be 3.1
- 13.3" Full HD touch screen
- minimum 10hrs battery life
- weight: not more than 1.3kg

The above will set you back by appr. GBP 800-1000

If still Windows 8, make sure it has a voucher for the Windows 10 upgrade.

I prefer Toshiba but they are on the more expensive side. Good ones are also from HP, Lenovo, Asus etc.

Thanks for the advice :thumbsup:

I'll take a look at some SSD laptops this weekend and see if there are any good deals.

Look for one with an SSHD, it's a hybrid of an SSD and a HD. It'll give you the access speed of an SSD, where necessary, and the higher/cheaper capacity of a HD.

Since you only need certain files, drivers, programs, etc to be accessed quickly from an SSD, the unit identifies these and stores them on the SSD part of the unit. All the other stuff is stored on a standard HD.

Look for one with an SSHD, it's a hybrid of an SSD and a HD. It'll give you the access speed of an SSD, where necessary, and the higher/cheaper capacity of a HD.

Since you only need certain files, drivers, programs, etc to be accessed quickly from an SSD, the unit identifies these and stores them on the SSD part of the unit. All the other stuff is stored on a standard HD.

Agree, that's the way to go if you want a lot of storage, e.g. 1 or 2TB. But it will also double the weight of the laptop at the very least, instead of 1.2 or 1.3kg you are looking at >2.5kg minimum.

SSD ones are currently maxed out at 512GB if you are looking for normal prices.

For me low weight has priority over higher storage because i carry the thing around a lot.

Agree, that's the way to go if you want a lot of storage, e.g. 1 or 2TB. But it will also double the weight of the laptop at the very least, instead of 1.2 or 1.3kg you are looking at >2.5kg minimum.

SSD ones are currently maxed out at 512GB if you are looking for normal prices.

For me low weight has priority over higher storage because i carry the thing around a lot.

Not really, a typical SSHD such as the Toshiba H200 1TB = 117g

If you
can limp along for another two weeks with your current one, you'll find mid-August to early September has great back-to-school sales.

She's a bit old for school now.

Laptop two seems like it would be the best one. It seems like it would run much better than the other one that you had picked out.

Dell

There were laptops on the Dell.com with similar characteristics Maybe you will find suitable variant for your needs However I advise yet look at HPandAlienWare

I've always said if you can afford slots you can afford a decent computer. :thumbsup:

Ha. That's funny.

I currently play slots hoping to some day win enough to buy this -
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

You can get it on finance, but I am in the catch 22 situation of having never received credit, so have no credit history, so I will be denied credit in order to build said credit history :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'd probably be better quitting slots at this point and just saving the money - as if :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back