Brilliant Thai anti-smoking campaign

rainmaker

I'm not a penguin

I am generally no fan of anti-smoking campaigns, but I found this one quite brilliant.

New York Daily News:

The Ogilvy Thailand ad uses little kids to trick smokers into saying how bad the habit really is."If you smoke you die faster," one man tells a little boy. "Don't you want to live and play?"

Instead of telling people that smoking is bad, a new ad from Thailand uses little kids to trick smokers into saying how bad the habit really is.

In the PSA several young children approach adults smoking in public and ask them for a light. Having no idea it's a setup, each adult starts explaining to the child why they shouldn't smoke.

"If you smoke you die faster," one man tells a little boy. "Don't you want to live and play?"

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw it the other day also and thought it was brilliant..I am a smoker..and hope to be ex sooner now. Kids really make you stop and think about how guilty you should feel smoking. It has inspired me to try again..

It's much better than the gross-out antismoking PSAs they do here. :thumbsup:

I agree. We have the same "problem" here in Norway, with ads that are trying their very best to make smokers look like stupid disgusting people. I am not a smoker myself, but I am fed up with ads like this Norwegian campaign:

Last edited by a moderator:
What gets me is that cigarettes are taxed like crazy - here in Alberta you pay between $10 -$12 a pack and more than half of that is Federal and Provincial tobacco tax. The tax revenue going to the government is enormous, they say the huge taxes are to 'help offset tobacco related medical costs.' And yet...they have prescription medicine and all sorts of other aids to help people quit but none of them are covered by health care.

ttax.jpg

I agree the same statistics per capita would relate to Aus I imagine..I think if gov were serious about the health costs they would ban tobacco full stop but their agenda to do not far out weigh than to do so.

All they care about is more revenue for people to continue...If it was illegal many would be forced to cope. There would always be the moonlighters willing to provide but they would be weeded out in numbers eventually.. The governments are and never will be serious when they make more money from letting people smoke. Yet on the public side they care about the cost related to smoking...I say we all know it's ( policy) propagander.. They strive to keep the tobacco companys in check and all smokers will continue to suffer.IMOO...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back